PSV Licence??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSV Licence??

Anyone know the formalities, costings, rulings, and procedure to obtain one of these.

Its not for me, for a mate

cheers

Fieldsy.

Originally posted by Fieldsy
    Anyone know the formalities, costings, rulings, and procedure to obtain one of these.

Its not for me, for a mate

cheers

Fieldsy.
    From what I hear the cheapest and easiest way is to get him to work for a bus company - then they train him and pay for it - mind you he is likely to get an automatic licence that way, whereas if he paid to go on a course he could get a manual and be eligle to drive any psv.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      From what I hear the cheapest and easiest way is to get him to work for a bus company - then they train him and pay for it - mind you he is likely to get an automatic licence that way, whereas if he paid to go on a course he could get a manual and be eligle to drive any psv.

Trev
      Also if going down the route of working for a bus comapny be aware that if he thinks he can get a job, obtain licence and leave then he will end up paying for it anyway. Its the best part of £1000 for the test and most bus company's have a clause that if you leave within 6 months or for some a year you have to pay back the test fee.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

He won't be in a position to work for a bus company as he already works and has he's own small courier business. He just wants to obtain a PSV to branch out a bit, so he needs/wants to do it as an individual/independant.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

i don't think it's allowed to have a clause like that in the contract... a few HGV blokes have got away with it...

i never had to sign for my class 1 but the bloke did it before me did and the union reckons the company hasn't got a leg to stand on if he want's to leave even though he signed a 2 year stay contract.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

try big wheelers or thorpes for PSV licence... not sure how it works it there are still different classes or not...

used to be singel and double decker, i'm pretty sure you have to do a +E to drive one of them bendy ones.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

thanks folks

Comment

Your mate needs be 21 or over and needs to pick up a PSV/LGV provisional license application form first from any post office. Once applied for, he will then need to get a medical from an independant doctor (not own GP). Once he has obtained his license and medical certificate, he can then go to a training school and book his lessons. Any good LGV school will train him, if not, they will know of a school which will.
                There are 4 PSV categories, but the main one if he intends to use his license for hire or reward is category D.
                He can have the option to learn in manual or semi-automatic, but the semi is not used much these days by private PSV operators, mostly by big bus operators.

Comment

thats brilliant Tazman

cheers m8y, just the basic information I needed............yep, he's well over 21

Least I can give him some basic info.

cheers

Fieldsy.

Comment

Any company can notify the DVLA that they require the option to retain HGV or PSV licences gained by employees whose training they paid for. You can do this before the licence is issued and you can also add a clause that restricts the driver to driving your own company HGV's/PSV's in the normal course of their employment.

Comment

If he is only going for minibuses then he only needs a PCV.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvmbus.htm

All stuff for PSV: -

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/operator_info.htm

Rich.
                      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Excellent links and info

thanks Rich

Comment

Always a pleasure

Originally posted by Fieldsy
                          Excellent links and info

thanks Rich
                          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
                          X