Happy anti-roll bar linkages to one and all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy anti-roll bar linkages to one and all

Thought my front anti-roll bar links would pass (having failed) if I just put new bushings on. Simple job thinks I so I get my 6mm allen head and stick it in the ball joint threaded bar and hey ho the nut turned and I got the link off. Cleaned it up and checked the boot, turned out to be in great nick so I refitted the whole link with new bushings, tightened all up, and looking clean as a whistle too. That was the passenger side!

Then .... the drivers side happened. Lost 3 nights over the damn allen hole which shredded itself. In the end I took the far side off again, then removed the whole anti roll bar and stuck it in a vice but do you think the drivers side link would be coaxed off - no chance. The only way now to get the link off is the hacksaw and a new Milners one (which they say wont fit but I'll take my chances).

I wanna live in a world where testing doesnt exist!

I wonder if I put her in for the retest will she pass seen as the anti-roll links dont have 'worn' or 'loose' tendencies anymore? Missing would probably be the next fail reason.

If anyone thinks I am forever testing then you're right, but at the minute the issues are down to smoke and anti-roll links, time is runnin short (damn it tracking too aarrggh)

I heard somone had a truck pass with the rear anti-roll bar completely removed. You may get away with it.
    As for the emissions, the guys down at my local MOT Testing place couldn't praise mine enough. They had never seen a truck of its age with such low emissions. What they didin't know was that I was running 50% vegoil. Maybe it produces a different kind of carbon than the machine is looking for? Try it entirely at your own risk!
    Good luck. Have you tried heating the siezed component?
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Can't you just take it off? UK pickups have no anti-roll bar anyway.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Can't you just take it off? UK pickups have no anti-roll bar anyway.
        Well there's your answer. One minute after I suggested it. Now that's what I call service!!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Well there's your answer. One minute after I suggested it. Now that's what I call service!!
          hehe, snap!

My ex's 4Runner went though 2 MOT's with no rear sway bar, and 1 with no front one.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

well, it is off so maybe......

and the emissions thing I think just measures density of the emission, not what it contains, so if theres invisible smoke out there then I want it

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              well, it is off so maybe......

and the emissions thing I think just measures density of the emission, not what it contains, so if theres invisible smoke out there then I want it
              What you want is the density of the MOT testers helper. My nephew was doing work experience at the MOT garage that I use. The tester asked him to put the probe up the exhaust of a Rangy. He then floored at and was puzzled by the zero reading. He went round the back to have a look and my nephew had put the probe up the towing hitch reciever. Well it was a round one and chromed!!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Mine got through the test with no sway bar at the rear no probs.

unless you've got a zelot doing the test they wont even notice the brackets where it should have been.
                Would think it would be the same on the front as there would only be a hole in the lower wishbone to show there ever was one.
                mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                  Mine got through the test with no sway bar at the rear no probs.

unless you've got a zelot doing the test they wont even notice the brackets where it should have been.
                  Would think it would be the same on the front as there would only be a hole in the lower wishbone to show there ever was one.
                  Even if they see the brackets, an anti roll bar is not a required item for construction and use regs, however if it is fitted then it has to be working / not floppy etc.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X