Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing

Hi.

Has anyone imported there own vehicle from Japan, is it relatively easy or just a pain in the a*se. What pit falls should you look for when importing a car. Has anyone heard of a company called Japan Partner over in Japan? They seem really cheap and put a decent amount of info about the cars on their website but I know this could just be BS.

Cheers

quite a few have reported their exeriences on here - have a play with the search function - you'll find lots of info...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Imports

Am currently importing my Surf SSR-X (manual) from japan via a local importer near Lincoln. The guy who's doin the job for me (Pete Cartwright) is very free with the informatio, and has warned me of pitfalls you can find with other importers. My car is on it's way, I have seen pictures via e-mail of the vehicle in japan, and he has shown me the report he was sent from his 'finder' which lists every single mark on the vehicle, no matter haow small. He has assured me that if any damage is done it transit it will be put right. The only probs ive had so far are the fact that shipping has been a problem and im now about 2 weeks behind schedule! As soon as the vehicle arrives he will do all the import paperwork, register the vehicle, MOT it, change the timing belt and put six months tax on it. Will let u know how it turns out when the baby arrives!
      Nige
      Nige...............

Anything you can do.......i

Comment

Importing Surf

Hi I am in the process of importing a surf from a company called Avongroup in Japan. It will be the first time for me but thought why not have a gamble.
        The cash has been sent and i am just waiting for confirmation they have received it and date of delivery to liverpool docks if anyone can offer any advice it would be gratefully received.

Mo

Comment

importing

Originally posted by blackball
          Hi I am in the process of importing a surf from a company called Avongroup in Japan. It will be the first time for me but thought why not have a gamble.
          The cash has been sent and i am just waiting for confirmation they have received it and date of delivery to liverpool docks if anyone can offer any advice it would be gratefully received.

Mo
          A mate of mine has just imported a 3.0td with Avongroup, it arrived last week up to now he hasn't had any probs, he's just about to register it so we will see. Cheers Steve.

Comment

Keep us posted and let us know how you get on, what are they charging you for the shipping costs.

Comment

I'm sorry if this post upsets anyone, but as someone who does import Surf's along with the likes of Andy & Hilux Bob etc.

How the heck can you be doing your own import if you are using the likes of Avon group & a guy near Lincoln ??

Could you please explain how you can be doing the import, when it would appear these companies do all the work, naturally they are not charging for doing all this !!!!!

Or are you paying up front for the Surf, freight , import duty & vat etc ???
              Only a guess but i'd be interested to know.

Bottom line is the first time you see her is after arrival in the UK, might as well kick the tyres on Surf's being sold on E-bay, at least you'll see her first & possible test drive.

I await the flamming & replys with great interest.
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

nope, I agree with you m8,you beat me to it, that was my sentiments. You are not importing, you are paying someone to import it for you, exactly the same as any dealer who imports it and then puts it on he's forecourt. Ok, you may get something off, but at the end of the day you are relying on this bloke to buy your surf and choose its condition, and he has got to make a profit!

Cars at auction are sold on a grade range i.e...1= poor quality, 5-6= showroom quality, and the price is dependant on this, so you may get a grade 3 through your "contact", whereas you could probably get a nicer 4 or 4.5 if you did it yourself.

I bought from a dealer originally, who showed me all the pics of it at auction, service history etc...., and I bought (as heart ruled head), but looking back now, that vehicle was only about a 3-3.5 and I paid top dollar, I've since bought a grade 4 and saved a few quid

Go the whole hog, search the net, get your info and do it yourself, much more of a buzz

At the end of the day its up to the individual, but I know which way I would go, or utilise the ppl on here who import, are'nt here to rip you off, and have a general interest in the well being of the vehicle and the ppl who own them.

good luck!!

Comment

Importing Surf

I am disappointed at the reaction of some of you guys all i am doing is cutting out the dealer and pocketing his profit whats wrong with that.
                  The cost of the freight is 115,000 yen about £587 which does,nt sound to exorbitant.

Mo

Comment

We're not saying anything is wrong with it, as I said its up to the individual, the point we were trying to make is that you are not importing your own as such, you are relying on a "company" to do it for you.

Wheras if you search and are able to access to the japanese auctions, you rely on your own trust of the auction house, view all the vehicles they have on offer, organise your own shipping (or allow them to do it), pick it up from the port of entry and register it all yourself. I would then class it as importing your own.You take all the gamble, and to be honest I got a buzz out of bidding and was happy with my purchase...............If it had been !!!!, then it was my own fault.

Its a very fine line in what you would call " importing yourself", but thats purely my opinion. If its easier and you are happy with the company finding your vehicle and buying it from them, then thats fine too, but ppl on here who do import wouldn't class it as self importing when you are using a third party......thats the only point I was trying to make.

good luck with your purchase

Comment

OOPS started a war, sorry. I'll get me coat

Comment

Agree 100% with Fieldsy.

Mo,
                        Good luck with your Surf M8, & i do hope its a good one ( seriously )
                        How you buy a Surf is up to the individual.

As lots of people say "You Pays Your Money"
                        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

To C or not to C .. that is the question ..

Originally posted by Sewerat

I'm sorry if this post upsets anyone, but as someone who does import Surf's along with the likes of Andy & Hilux Bob etc.

How the heck can you be doing your own import if you are using the likes of Avon group & a guy near Lincoln ??

Could you please explain how you can be doing the import, when it would appear these companies do all the work, naturally they are not charging for doing all this !!!!!

Or are you paying up front for the Surf, freight , import duty & vat etc ???
                          Only a guess but i'd be interested to know.

Bottom line is the first time you see her is after arrival in the UK, might as well kick the tyres on Surf's being sold on E-bay, at least you'll see her first & possible test drive.

I await the flamming & replys with great interest.

I agree !!
                          Last edited by surfin; 21 October 2004, 09:16. Reason: spelling

Comment

Importing Surf

As a Newbie your obsevations may be valid but the fact is I am taking the gamble with the same chance of buying a lemon as you guys who buy from an auction and ship them to england the first time you kick the tyres is when it rolls of the boat. I am throwing my dice and hoping for a double six.

Comment

importing

Hi folks l was going to say something but l have been beaten to it. Hope evrything goes alright for you.
                              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
                              X