Factory Rusproofing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Rusproofing?

Searched and found some threads on rustproofing Surfs...including for jobs up to £400!

But not much info on the real difference between Japanese market and UK market standards.

Is it that the Surf, say compared to a HiLux, hasn't any sprayed on protection underneath? What about seam and chassis-cavity protection.

I'm tempted to at least get 5l of Waxoyl on this one before it gets too wet this winter.

BTW the importer/seller just masked up the wheels and gave the wheelarches and chassis (ie. Bits that showed) a quick blast with thin waxy underseal...never went underneath to do anything properly though

David

Not undersealed at all, any where, nothing, zip, zilch so waxoyl the chasis inside the rails and inner doors is a very good idea
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

What no wax or anything anywhere? Doesn't it ever rain in Japan? Even so how do they stay so rust free for 13yrs before they get to the UK?

Wonder if anyone is seeing rust on one left unprotected that's been here a while?

David

Comment

just wondering (being a thicky an' all) is this the stuff that they use for treating it?

http://8e36e06fd9bfb9c3fdea964efdb88...tment=Workshop

If so - is it just a case of cleaning things up and then spraying it on? If so it may well be worth buying a couple of cans and getting stuck in. Am thinking this cant be the right stuff tho?

Comment

they don't use salt on the roads in japan so it don't get so rusty... don't know what people living near the sea do??? apparently they use volcanic ash or something... probably have heated roads or something!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

My 1991 Surf has no rust but I do not use it in the winter. Is there any evidence to show that those of you who do use them all year round, without additional protection, suddenly find them rusting?

I would imagine that all Surfs come off the same production line irrespective of where they are exported to. Salt is certainly used in the USA - do their Surfs rust more than the Japanese? There are loads of Japanese 4x4's on the road. I do not see any rust buckets so can only assume that the protection is as good, or better, than European cars.

So many questions but does anyone have the answers?

Comment

I read somewhere, that it depends where the Surf was originally purchased as to what level of rust proofing they have.

Cheers

Comment

You see a lot of rusted out rear side bumper quarters, and side step support bars.

I think no salt, along with good cleaning just keeps the nice for longer than your used to over here.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The Japanese cars imported to Europe are the best preserved ones. The scruffier ones go to Asian countries. Many of the Surfs imported into the Philippines have rusty window surrounds, front panels and doors. American 4Runners are also famous for unsightly rust around the windows rear arches and the bottom of the doors.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by *Turandot*; 6 October 2004, 21:42.

Comment

I managed to get a '93 2.4, and used 5 litres of flexible stone chip on anywhere outside the chassis rails and front/rear ends as well as the chassis where needed. It dries fairly thin when the thinners have evaporated. I also used 3 cans of hammerite satin and this left a good finish on most components e.g axle, drums.
                    I then used 10 litres of waxoyl and 2.5 litres of thinners well heated and sprayed inside the chassis with a 7 foot airline on a schutz gun with a spray rose on the end for good coverage. I fed it through each chassis hole as far as possible and I think I got every bit twice. I then sprayed the whole thing underneath and made sure that all drains in the sills and inner wings were clear.
                    Under the bonet, most components mounted off the engine, and the inner wings were sprayed with an acrylic laquer, and the whole thing still shines like a new pin when washed.
                    I used this laquer on my Almera 6 years ago and it still gleams now (also good for sealing electrics).
                    Total time 20 hrs including all doors.
                    Total cost about £80 including a new schutz gun

Hope that helps to the D.I.Y fan

Sean

Comment

i've had mine for over a year now and live in the north where the roads are white with salt all winter.

I have had no treatment done and don't have any rust at all, it's just the same as when i bought it.

What i do do however is once a week get the pressure washer under the car and give it a realy good wash, then go to the local jet wash (one of the ones that you pay for the time) put a few quid in and select the "hot wax" setting and spray the the underside with it till the money runs out.
                      seems to work pretty well cos as i said thers no rust at all and i use it every day.
                      mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X