Front tie-rod ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tie-rod ends

Hi all - just found out that both my front tie-rod ends are seized (which means that the wheel alignment cant be done - which really needs doing) The cost to repair them comes to £441 (including the alignment), but having just forked out £3000 on replacing the engine its money i really really havent got.

Question is - am i ok driving around without having the work done or am i going to break something else by not having the work done? (they've told me that it will wear out the tyres a lot quicker but i'm not too bothered by that as 1. i dont like the tyres they fitted and 2. its going to be months away anyway so maybe i will be abe to save some more cash by then.)

Originally posted by MrHankey
    Hi all - just found out that both my front tie-rod ends are seized (which means that the wheel alignment cant be done - which really needs doing) The cost to repair them comes to £441 (including the alignment), but having just forked out £3000 on replacing the engine its money i really really havent got.

Question is - am i ok driving around without having the work done or am i going to break something else by not having the work done? (they've told me that it will wear out the tyres a lot quicker but i'm not too bothered by that as 1. i dont like the tyres they fitted and 2. its going to be months away anyway so maybe i will be abe to save some more cash by then.)
    They are rarely beyond repair, find someone with a torch and a big monkey wench, it usually does the trick.

All it will do is wear tyres.

That price is steep, track rod ends are only £10ish from Milners. If you replacing them as a unit (inner and outer on each side) its a simple enough job.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ring Milner Offroad tomorrow, order the 2 outer track rod ends, buy a ball joint separator tool, do the job yourself, then get it tracked somewhere.

Cant be more than £30 before the tracking

Comment

£441 !! Bring it to me I'll do it for £200 .Less then half price and still a rip off .

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Hi all - thanks 4 the replies - U serious Vagrant? (Or more to the point r u competent / sober etc etc!!!) As i am rarely any of the above, anyone who wants to do the job for £200 (which i can just about scrape 2gether) will be well rewarded with erm... £200 (and a beer or 3?) :-)

Comment

I still wouldn't write off the ones that are on there. A butane blow torch and a big set of stilsons shifted mine. A good thing to try and then you will have £200 to spoil the old girl (by old girl I mean the truck).
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Bushes

A company called Bush Tyres etc did mine, they were stuck solid so he put a torch on them freed them up, did the setup and away i went. If memory serves it was less than £50 to balance the fronts and do the tracking.

Ben

Comment

Hi all - thanks 4 the replies - U serious Vagrant? (Or more to the point r u competent / sober etc etc!!!) As i am rarely any of the above, anyone who wants to do the job for £200 (which i can just about scrape 2gether) will be well rewarded with erm... £200 (and a beer or 3?) :-)

competent hahahahahahhahahbwahahahahahah
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Bill , I honestly would do the job for you for a drink or CAKES.I have to MOT the Herald this or next weekend so will be at my mates place where there is Oxy/Acetelene kit and could do them for you .

You have my mobile from last time ?
                  Give me a buzz .

Rick
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                    Bill , I honestly would do the job for you for a drink or CAKES.I have to MOT the Herald this or next weekend so will be at my mates place where there is Oxy/Acetelene kit and could do them for you .

Give me a buzz .

Rick

Honestly, could you trust someone called doctor honeynuts
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2

Give me a buzz .

Rick
                      Hi Rick - have changed mobile phone since then (at last i actually have one that works!!!) Will PM you with my new number (when i can work out how to find out what it is), have gone for the only shock proof / water resistant / dust resistant model i could find (learned my lesson from dropping the last one in the Thames while fishing). As always - you are a diamond geez! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                        Honestly, could you trust someone called doctor honeynuts
                        You can always trust a "Doctor" cant you? Am not sure about his honeynuts tho - luckily i'm more of a "full english" than a cereal kinda guy (hmmmm.... does that need to be rephrased?)

Comment

If they are seriously seized, you'll need both ends and the bar for the middle, for both sides.

But definatly get someone to heat them up first, worked everytime so far.
                          Take Rick some cakes and let him play, he likes fire.....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            They are rarely beyond repair, find someone with a torch and a big monkey wench, it usually does the trick.

All it will do is wear tyres.

That price is steep, track rod ends are only £10ish from Milners. If you replacing them as a unit (inner and outer on each side) its a simple enough job.

Tony, this "big monkey wench", has she got a name?

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                              Tony, this "big monkey wench", has she got a name?
                              freudian slip! But I'm not mentioning any names, you'll get me in trouble........

Comment

Working...
                              X