Paint matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint matching

Having a wee bit 'o' trouble with getting paint to match. A while back some plank reversed into the surfs drivers side wing flare, so I managed to repair
    it and got the paintcode from the vin plate, duly phoned up milners who despatched paint to me in spray can. After priming and rubbing down I gave
    'flare' a few coats and let it dry and harden off for a week. Going to put flare back on found out that it was the wrong colour, shade etc by a mile.
    I haven't phoned back to milners complaining as I have used half the can.
    On the can it say 'toyota dark blue pearlescent', but on going to halfords they came up with 'dark blue mica'. Question is will halfords be the right one , as I don't know any paintshops around to give me the correct colour. I have also realised that the vehicle is 10 yrs old and paint fades etc. Alternatively what are we looking at to respray whole vehicle a different colour!????
    The paint code is 8E 3

I've looked at a number of code sources and Dark Blue Pearl appears to be the correct description for 8E3. One question - did you put lacquer over the base coat? This can make a significant difference to the colour. With regard to source of paint - check your Yellow Pages for a local Autopaint International. They mix paint to the code and are reasonably priced.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Ok if yours is the dark blue 2nd gen surf like mine here is the info,
      ok guys 8E3 made up at my local paint distributor PARRY'S have matched my paint to this code & its a perfect match PO32 - PA14B He said that 8E3 is a cheap mix & is never the perfect match so this other code is made up from dearer paint.
      Attached Files
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

best bet is to go to a paint shop... they'll have a swatch book and can match the colour even taking fade and wear n' tear into account.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I took my paint code Number into Halfords as suggested by some one else on this Forum and even though my colour wasn,t on their chart they punched the number into their compuer and told me that they could mix it, provided that i was willing to pay for it even if it was wrong,I only wanted a 100mm so i took the chance and it came out spot on. Same colour as yours Marky
          well worth the £7.99 they charged me .( and it was well over the 100mm)
          WD40 "He who Thinks Australian"

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            best bet is to go to a paint shop... they'll have a swatch book and can match the colour even taking fade and wear n' tear into account.
            Slug man is right, a pro paint shop will have an anylyser that will give you a true match to your colour as it is now.
            ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
              Having a wee bit 'o' trouble with getting paint to match. A while back some plank reversed into the surfs drivers side wing flare, so I managed to repair
              it and got the paintcode from the vin plate, duly phoned up milners who despatched paint to me in spray can. After priming and rubbing down I gave
              'flare' a few coats and let it dry and harden off for a week. Going to put flare back on found out that it was the wrong colour, shade etc by a mile.
              I haven't phoned back to milners complaining as I have used half the can.
              On the can it say 'toyota dark blue pearlescent', but on going to halfords they came up with 'dark blue mica'. Question is will halfords be the right one , as I don't know any paintshops around to give me the correct colour. I have also realised that the vehicle is 10 yrs old and paint fades etc. Alternatively what are we looking at to respray whole vehicle a different colour!????
              The paint code is 8E 3
              .............................. .............................. ..................
              I bet the MILNERS paint was more of a PURPLE COLOUR ???
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                ok guys 8E3 made up at my local paint distributor PARRY'S have matched my paint to this code & its a perfect match PO32 - PA14B He said that 8E3 is a cheap mix & is never the perfect match so this other code is made up from dearer paint.
                I went to my local paint shop and they eventually found the correct colour. I'll check the paper work that is in my glove box for the code. Mine is for the graphite grey flares. The guys at the paint shop advised me to apply four coats of the paint and lightly rub down with the finest wet and dry ( I cant remember the grit No) then apply four coats of laquer, allow to harden for a couple of weeks then again use the wet and dry, then finish off with T-Cut and high gloss polish. I can't see the difference myself now and I know where I sprayed.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  That paint code is an ICI one so you will need a paint shop that stocks ICI paint.

Deltron (PPG) 8E3 doesn't match, however Vision 8E3 is a pretty close one.

The 8E3 paint is the only one that there really seems to be a problems with, MR2 import drivers also have the same problem.

The Silver on the 2 tone Blue over Silver is a good match watever make you get, I use Deltron (PPG) code 147.

Also, to get a better match, flat the basecoat down with 1500 grit before putting on the clearcoat. Try to get it as flat as possible with a nice dull finish. When you put on the clearcoat you will be amazed.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    The 8E3 paint is the only one that there really seems to be a problems with, MR2 import drivers also have the same problem.
                    Just wondering if the (here goes sounding like an insurance company ) UK Vs JDM scenario plays a part here? My imported 2 was SuperRedII (code 3E5) and I couldn't get a match for it even from MrT, whose official 3E5 didn't match). Not too sure if the oxidisation faults with red paint played a part, but it was for the side airscoops that weren't faded I too ended up getting primer & paint from Halfords to get a closer match.

Just read this back and I'm also not sure if I've actually added anything of value to this thread
                    NorthWestDirt
                    [aka Paul]

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestDirt
                      Just wondering if the (here goes sounding like an insurance company ) UK Vs JDM scenario plays a part here? My imported 2 was SuperRedII (code 3E5) and I couldn't get a match for it even from MrT, whose official 3E5 didn't match). Not too sure if the oxidisation faults with red paint played a part, but it was for the side airscoops that weren't faded I too ended up getting primer & paint from Halfords to get a closer match.

Just read this back and I'm also not sure if I've actually added anything of value to this thread
                      No you have. And you are correct, the Japanes spec paint is a slightly different mix than others - why, who knows. If you have a UK car with 8E3 (maybe a corolla, avensis etc) then PPG/Deltron 8E3 will match.

Main reason seems to be more mica pearl in the Japanese paint mix. Overall it looks too purple but you will find that from some angles in some light it will be spot on.

Cheers

Comment

Thanx for all the replies.
                        Looks like I will have to start all over again, bu**er!

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
                          Thanx for all the replies.
                          Looks like I will have to start all over again, bu**er!
                          Where are you in Bucks. If you can get across to Hemel Hempstead in Herts then Eurocolor do the Vision 8E3 which is pretty close.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers for that I'm in Chalfont St Peter might give Hemel a go.
                            I can see me ending up with a multicoloured surf with four flares painted purple!. Last message had keyboard stutter)))

Comment

Working...
                            X