Just about to collect this!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about to collect this!!!

Heya guys I'm new here and am collecting my first surf this weekend on the 8th and have been looking around for as much info as possible. I admit it has been a bit of an impulsive buy and i knew nothing about the vehicles until after I'd agreed the sale but I have been doing some serious homework since and hence stumbled aross your site.

I just hope I haven't bought a lemon and just wondered if anyone could offer any advice for when I collect it apart from dont prang it on the way home. Oh payed £3500 for it which seemed reasonable ?!?!

Heres a little bit on the car...

IT IS A 1991 MODEL THIS VEHICLE IS IN GUNMETAL GREY,SHE IS TAXED FOR 2 MONTHS AND AS MOT FOR 8 MONTHS,AND IS READY TO GO. THE BAD POINTS ARE:THERE IS A VERY SMALL DENT IN THE FRONT LEFT WING(SEE PIC), IT AS NOT SCRATCHED THE PAINT OR EVEN CRACKED THE PAINT WORK,THE INDICATOR AS A CRACK IN IT ON THE SAME SIDE(EASY REPAIR). ALL THE GOOD POINTS:SHE IS A 91 H REG(IMPORT) AND IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION,I HAVE JUST HAD A FULL SERVICE ON HER AND A NEW TIMEING BELT FITTED,THE ENGINE IS EXCELLENT AND THE GEAR BOX IS SMOOTH AND NOISE FREE,THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ALL WORKS FINE,AND THE UNDER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE IS LIKE NEW,SHE IS AN AUTOMATIC(IMPORT)WITH FULL V5(LOG BOOK), NEVER OFF ROADED NEVER TOWED. 93000 MILES.

Tried to add some pictures but couldnt seem to get em in.

Well thats me and I'm sure I'll be back next weekend asking oodles of questions about the car when I get a snag.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tasadin; 2 October 2004, 16:52.

Most ppl will probably say I shouldn't post this, but as its got most of the opinions of the experts on here, I think its only right you should read this thread, but at the end of the day its entirely up to you m8 to make a decision.

Just wouldn't want you to catch a cold on it without prior warning

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8228

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
      Most ppl will probably say I shouldn't post this, but as its got most of the opinions of the experts on here, I think its only right you should read this thread, but at the end of the day its entirely up to you m8 to make a decision.

In that case I am not one of the "most people" - a good bit of advice Fieldsy which I agree with you on.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

If you didnt post it mate I would have... thought the pics rang a few bells. Will be interesting to know what its like! Any better pics other than the ebay ones would be good!
        Cheers - hope its ok for you.
        Tim
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Fair post me thinks, its only our opinions of an advert based on the facts given in that advert. If he's seen the vehicle and driven it, given it a good test then fair enough.
          If its all been done on the basis of the description then I personally I would be sceptical, but thats me.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Most ppl will probably say I shouldn't post this

I didn't mean this to sound bad, I just meant that ppl on here are considerate, and probably wouldn't want to knock someone down, when the first thought in he's mind at the moment is he's new toy.

I was just trying to advise on some previous opinions of that particular vehicle.

Comment

Thanks for the honesty!!!!!

Ok in a bit of a bind now cos I already agreed the sale,dont want to and I see what you mean about narrow bodies and arches etc. I never expected it to be economical and speaking to the guy he seems genuine enough but so can anyone on the phone I guess, but he has been willing to supply as much info as i need including extra pics etc soooo going back through the posts the overheating .... is that common, can i recognise it early on because I will definately test drive before I take and that might be a good pointer for getting my deposit back and not proceeding with the sale if anything is suspect. Plus anyone know where I might get a good example for 3500??????
              Sorry for so many questions but better to be safe!! and thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasadin
                Ok in a bit of a bind now cos I already agreed the sale,dont want to and I see what you mean about narrow bodies and arches etc. I never expected it to be economical and speaking to the guy he seems genuine enough but so can anyone on the phone I guess, but he has been willing to supply as much info as i need including extra pics etc soooo going back through the posts the overheating .... is that common, can i recognise it early on because I will definately test drive before I take and that might be a good pointer for getting my deposit back and not proceeding with the sale if anything is suspect. Plus anyone know where I might get a good example for 3500??????
                Sorry for so many questions but better to be safe!! and thanks for the help so far.
                Drive it and if you like it buy it... Its not a bad price and if the worst happens then you'll spend an extra grand and have and even better car...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

if your happy

Originally posted by Tasadin
                  Heya guys I'm new here and am collecting my first surf this weekend on the 8th and have been looking around for as much info as possible. I admit it has been a bit of an impulsive buy and i knew nothing about the vehicles until after I'd agreed the sale but I have been doing some serious homework since and hence stumbled aross your site.

I just hope I haven't bought a lemon and just wondered if anyone could offer any advice for when I collect it apart from dont prang it on the way home. Oh payed £3500 for it which seemed reasonable ?!?!

Heres a little bit on the car...

IT IS A 1991 MODEL THIS VEHICLE IS IN GUNMETAL GREY,SHE IS TAXED FOR 2 MONTHS AND AS MOT FOR 8 MONTHS,AND IS READY TO GO. THE BAD POINTS ARE:THERE IS A VERY SMALL DENT IN THE FRONT LEFT WING(SEE PIC), IT AS NOT SCRATCHED THE PAINT OR EVEN CRACKED THE PAINT WORK,THE INDICATOR AS A CRACK IN IT ON THE SAME SIDE(EASY REPAIR). ALL THE GOOD POINTS:SHE IS A 91 H REG(IMPORT) AND IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION,I HAVE JUST HAD A FULL SERVICE ON HER AND A NEW TIMEING BELT FITTED,THE ENGINE IS EXCELLENT AND THE GEAR BOX IS SMOOTH AND NOISE FREE,THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ALL WORKS FINE,AND THE UNDER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE IS LIKE NEW,SHE IS AN AUTOMATIC(IMPORT)WITH FULL V5(LOG BOOK), NEVER OFF ROADED NEVER TOWED. 93000 MILES.

Tried to add some pictures but couldnt seem to get em in.

Well thats me and I'm sure I'll be back next weekend asking oodles of questions about the car when I get a snag.
                  hi mate i bought my surf a 1991 auto import about 6 weeks ago and absolutely love it i paid 4000 with 12 months mot/6 months tax and 12 months warranty from a dealer near me its done 68000 miles and is sound.there are lots about its down to personal choice a bit of luck and how you feel good luck with it snowy

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                    Drive it and if you like it buy it... Its not a bad price and if the worst happens then you'll spend an extra grand and have and even better car...

Thats how i got mine (ok so its a 1st gen and in the vintage bracket now).I didnt want a 2 door or a 2.4 but saw the old girl drove her and fell in love that was 6 years ago and a better buy I could have never made.The surf is a vehicle of the heart not the head,but in this case the heart was right.they are sound,solid and safe.Also one hell of a toy to play with offroad.
                    So go on let your heart rule and if it gose wrong there is always someone on here who will tell you how to fit it,(and if you are realy lucky) [or unlucky] they will be near enough to come watch you do it.
                    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Follow on

I have read loadsa posts about head problems and want to be sure I can as far as possible rule this out when I check the car over. Could someone describe or supply a pic of where the radiator cap is on top of the thermostat housing on the 2.4td so i can do this start from cold check for head cracks?? I've asked the guy about further history and you guys were right he only got the surf 4 months ago but has hardly used it as he has other transport still in the form of a van. Just doing my best to keep myself informed

Comment

Heres some more what do you think

Heres some pics of the engine bay, and apparently its just had new head, head gasket and belts and he has all the receipts and has offered to take me to the garage where the work was done, so I'm more comfortable now and thanks for all your helpo
                        Attached Files

Comment

has oily fingerprints over it so looks like it's had some recent serious work done.

doesn't look like the fuel filter's ever been changed though!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I thought all surfs had two batteries, i could only see one. Or am i talking absolute B*****ks.......muncher

Comment

Yes, I am afraid you are!
                              Originally posted by muncher
                              I thought all surfs had two batteries, i could only see one. Or am i talking absolute B*****ks.......muncher
                              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
                              X