Toyota Colorado gx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Colorado gx

I know this is a surf forum but has anyone had any experience of the Toyota Colorado gx model year 2001 , are they reliable any feedback would be much appreciated

I had one for a while, very reliable, typical toyota reliable. Mine had the d4d engine which i suspect came in around 2000/1. Only common fault I can think of is the difflock, which are rarely used and therefore will often seize up. Rear diff casings seem to be corrosion prone , and can become pourous. Ive heard of ATF cooler failures leading to water in thetransmission, but its the same set up as the Surf and easily avoided by caring for your coolant condition, or by fitting a separate tranny cooler. Only reason i got rid of mine was to replace it with a newer model . LC 3
    Сви можемо

Comment

The one I seen is 2001 has the d4d engine it's the gx model with 115k miles it's green in colour and in pretty good condition they are looking for around £2500 for it , so not sure if I should do up my 3rd gen ssr-g model or go for this what's your thoughts

Comment

I have had two colorados they are brilliant the only faults are mentioned above! £2500 sounds reasonable!
        Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

As above, thats a good price for a relatively low mileage 2001 d4d. Provided of course its in decent nick.
          Сви можемо

Comment

I agree with the above. The first D4D s that came out had some problems with the injectors, they probably have been done on the one you saw, check this before you buy. Otherwise excellent engine...if a bit boring. It won't have the 'punch' of the kz te...

Comment

Are they better than the surf 3rd gen ssr-g or not much between them , also I think the d4d is an intercool engine

Comment

Originally posted by Big dog View Post
                Are they better than the surf 3rd gen ssr-g or not much between them , also I think the d4d is an intercool engine
                Yeah it' s the 1kd engine, intercooled , common rail type. Also fitted on some 3rd Gen surfs post 2000, I have seen a couple around here .
                Better consumption ,more refined than the kz te, reliable.
                You can't go wrong . Check injectors situation tho.
                I've driven pick ups with the 1kd and I must say the surf is more fun to drive but that's me .
                Last edited by tashtego; 1 September 2017, 12:49.

Comment

much the same as the gen 3 but more thirsty due to being full time 4wd, and a fair bit bigger inside but less boot space due to the 3rd row of seats

Comment

Just an update , had a real good look over the colorado today , still obviously thinking about buying it , checked all underneath and it has been sealed with wax oil etc , gave it all a tap with a hammer and it is solid , also noticed it is a manual one , timing belt and clutch just been done ,2 new batteries , 115k looking for £2,250 for it which I think is fair , which is better manual or auto

Comment

Originally posted by Big dog View Post
                      Just an update , had a real good look over the colorado today , still obviously thinking about buying it , checked all underneath and it has been sealed with wax oil etc , gave it all a tap with a hammer and it is solid , also noticed it is a manual one , timing belt and clutch just been done ,2 new batteries , 115k looking for £2,250 for it which I think is fair , which is better manual or auto
                      Auto for sure. Much more comfortable and great off road, especially if combined with the multimode centre diff type transfer.

Comment

I prefer autos but thats personal choice! they don't have multi mode transmission it's full time 4wd so hi, low plus centre diff lock, and of course the rear diff lock which to be honest probably wont work through lack of use £400 to replace the actuator ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
                          I prefer autos but thats personal choice! they don't have multi mode transmission it's full time 4wd so hi, low plus centre diff lock, and of course the rear diff lock which to be honest probably wont work through lack of use £400 to replace the actuator ouch!
                          That's interesting, the Japanese imported Prados we get here from those years (around 2000), with the D4D, have part time 4x4, if I am not mistaken. They also have rear disc brakes.

Comment

colorados have the rear disc brakes too the prado has rear lsd instead of a locker and as far as i am aware the prado too is full time 4wd!

Comment

Working...
                            X