Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o/d mode on or off for most economical driving

Hey guys,

Still trying to get to grips with this. The owners manual says that driving in "normal mode" (o/d light on dash says O/D OFF) is the most economical and is for city driving, dry normal roads etc . It then says o/d mode (NO light on dash) only has access to 3 gears saying it allows for bursts of speed, useful for hills and busy motorways as you have higher revs, however this mode is not as economical as normal mode.

However, I have tried this out in my surf and the opposite seems to hold true. When I am driving at 50mph with o/d mode off (light on on dash), I rev at about 2.5k rpm. As soon as i put the o/d mode on (light goes out on dash), the car visibly changes up a gear and drops to around 1k rpm.

Therefore it seems to me that this HAS to be more economical as I have access to a higher gear and am running at less revs but my manual says the opposite is true. Can anyone throw any light on this? Maybe i'm being a total dunce.

Thanks!

I leave od on all the time. its recommended to have it off for towing, but that i think is to avoid changing up and down all the time and overheating the autobox. Above 55 mph with od on you are in top gear with the gearbox locked up , which means its solidly engaged in gear and not spinning around in the atf. With od off it will lock up in a lower gear, with subsequently higher reves, im not sure im explaining this very well, but as i dont tow anything above a garden trailer and dont do that for more than a mile or so, i always have od on. I can vaguely see why od off is recommended for city driving, as it probably locks up in lower gears at lower speeds, but as city driving is all start stop and gear shifting anyway it seems pointless
    Сви можемо

Comment

What he said ...

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

I third that
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thats it then, all the clever people have spoken.
          Сви можемо

Comment

Haha!

Thanks guys, o/d mode on it is then!

Comment

If you're doing 1000rpm more it will surely drink more fuel!
              I almost never turn it on ie light on dash.
              If I'm in a playful mood I'll flick it on and the truck definitely moves quicker!
              No good on any road where your doing more than 55mph.

Comment

Working...
              X