X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEN3 BFG 265/70/16 30mm spacers Arch Rubbing

Guys,

I have just fitted 30mm spacer all round, looks awesome

However, I can't turn more than about 1/3 lock before I hit the back inside of the arch.

I really don;'t want to have to take the spacers off, and just the rear wheels'd probably look dumb.

So, any advice on how to clear the arch? Presumably, remove flares, cut the back out etc.... Anything else I should consider?

Adam

As you probably realise fitting spacers (or reversing split rims which is what I did) makes the "arc" of the wheel exaggerated as opposed to the stock set up where the wheel more or less turns on it's own axis, only way to get clearance is to chop way the body/arch where it fouls or lift the truck, this can be done by either fitting a body lift kit or suspension lift or both,
    I did both years ago and with reversed rims and 33" tyres I still get a slight catch on full lock, I have also cut some on the inner arch away, normally when I'm on my own in the truck it doesn't foul but add a passenger or two and it just catches, I have a 2" body lift, and 2" front spacers and Land cruiser rear springs, you can rack up the torsion bars if it's a 2nd gen truck you have, (I didn't touch mine tho afraid of em snapping or summat) plenty of info here as to how to do lifts,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Yeah, I feel your pain. I did the same and it took Tony N and some hammering / grinding of the inner arch liner and other such magic in order to remedy.

I still get a bit of rubbing with more than one occupant but, hey, fame costs. It's nothing like the bumper-wobbing cracking I had when they were first done.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Contrary to lifting and chopping the rear side of the front wheel arches, you can also adjust the Caster, pushing the front wheels forwards.

I have adjustable upper arms on mine, with adjustable caster and camber, I can set them so the caster is almost dialled out from the top, then re adjust the bottom to get it back in line, increasing the wheelbase slightly, and offering more clearance on the trailing edge of the inner arch.

More info HERE

I got my adjustable upper arms from HERE
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Cheers guys.

I believe I already have a 2" lift (bought from a guy with 0 service/work history). I've had it all checked over by my local Surf enthusiast though, and he says it's all in good shape.

Really want to keep these spacers on though. I've been reading about caster.

After a lift, the caster should be moved forward anyway right?!? I'll have a look tonight, although I believe the stock arms don't allow much adjustment.

I'll take a look at the Arms Karma Supra linked.

Is the asjustment something I can do myself. Don't wanna make the stearing unstable.

Cheers as always.

Comment

The stock upper arms have zero adjustment, camber can only be adjusted in a limited range using the lower adjustment cams, and you can't do it yourself, unless you have the tools to do a full wheel geometry!
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Working...
            X