Kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch

Looking to wire in an anti theft kill switch, though not sure of the best method.

I figured going off the starter rather than the fuel pump, to eliminate the chance of the truck randomly losing fuel when driving, or worse the engine switching off.

I'm not an electrics expert by any stretch, but figured this would probably be something I could have a go at. Has anyone with more electrical knowledge than me done this before, and could give any pointers to consider, or dangers to avoid?

Thanks
    Owen

Originally posted by pyemaster View Post
    Looking to wire in an anti theft kill switch, though not sure of the best method.

I figured going off the starter rather than the fuel pump, to eliminate the chance of the truck randomly losing fuel when driving, or worse the engine switching off.

I'm not an electrics expert by any stretch, but figured this would probably be something I could have a go at. Has anyone with more electrical knowledge than me done this before, and could give any pointers to consider, or dangers to avoid?

Thanks
    Owen
    Good idea Owen but i have one question, why do you wanna wait till there half way down your road before the kill switch kills whatever it will kill? would prevention in the first place not be better? i.e. an alarm

Cheers
    Alex
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Hi Alex, yeah the idea is that they wouldn't be able to do that at all. If I could get the starter isolated then they shouldn't be able to get it going without working out where the switch is.

Also I do have an alarm (bloody loud one too), but how many people pay attention these days to alarms!

Owen

Comment

Hi,I don't know if you got this sorted but a key switch fixed into the door or front wheel arch and by cutting the lead on the ignition switch which operates the relay coil which in turn operates the starter , the cut lead is then joined and taken through the key switch , so the truck can only be started when the key switch is on , turned off when you park up no one can start the truck without the key, even if they have the truck ignition key.

Comment

Or just fit a triple circuit immobiliser
          Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Just fit a racing kit in aket form that isolates the battery. ...
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Someone has suggested finding a heavy duty starter relay and placing it in the cable that runs from the battery to the starter. Then bringing in the low voltage wiring necessary to trigger the relay into the cab. Anyone half decent with electics have any thoughts? Seems legit to me.

Owen

Comment

It's be easier to do it on the starter solenoid wire.. that's what most aftermarket immobilisers do.

Part of the LS400 ECU I used had a built in ECU level immobiliser, as such I reused the LS400 transponder key, so my truck requires two keys to start, one being an ECU matched transponder key.

The side effect is also that I can leave the truck keys in to play the radio, and it still can't be started, nice when camping/shows etc
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                X