Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie and straight on to HELP

Hi all,
    Newbie from Bristol here.... bought this Toyota Surf as a toy for playing in the mud. Long story but after parking it for a few days, wouldn't start. Thought it was the immobiliser as waving that little fob thing about would make the "engine check" light come on. Well,stripped down lower dash to find the immobiliser LED had fallen out of hole but can now see it working. Starting circuit works with immobilisier. However no engine check light and so no start. Will turn over fast but won't start. Been told prob ECU ????? . Now, these are dear and don't mind spending but would rather swap on first to see if it would work. Anyone got an ECU for a 3.ltr diesel (KZ) auto I could try ? or buy ?

Any ideals appreciated.
    That cant be your car that must be your Mama's car

Hi and welcome

there is a couple off possible issues you could be facing if there is not fuel getting to the injectors but you have a hard primer and not leaks or air - ecu or spill control value.

I have recently done the spill control valve and done a write up on it, here the link to the thread with write up on P2.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84274

Comment

Originally posted by surfing*the*waves View Post
      Hi and welcome

there is a couple off possible issues you could be facing if there is not fuel getting to the injectors but you have a hard primer and not leaks or air - ecu or spill control value.

I have recently done the spill control valve and done a write up on it, here the link to the thread with write up on P2.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84274

Hi........... Thanks for reply.
      To be honest i've only had the truck for 3 weeks or so and is not my daily, just a toy. Was fine when parked up and left for a few days. Needed to move it and wouldn't start. No engine check light or click as before. I'm convinced it's connected to immobiliser issue as would come on/off with immobiliser prior to it stop working.

Can you enlighten me on other possible issue's ? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Falfasrevenge View Post
        Hi........... Thanks for reply.
        To be honest i've only had the truck for 3 weeks or so and is not my daily, just a toy. Was fine when parked up and left for a few days. Needed to move it and wouldn't start. No engine check light or click as before. I'm convinced it's connected to immobiliser issue as would come on/off with immobiliser prior to it stop working.

Can you enlighten me on other possible issue's ? Thanks.
        Check your batteries mate, if they are lower it will turn but may not be enough to give the glow plugs what they need. i would start with the cheap stuff like a jump start first
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
          Check your batteries mate, if they are lower it will turn but may not be enough to give the glow plugs what they need. i would start with the cheap stuff like a jump start first
          Two new batteries 8 months ago.

The main pointer is the "Check" light. When immobiliser was un-armed the green check light came on and it would start (then go out when started). Now engine check light does not come on and it will turn over fast but won't start. I believe the immobiliser has still knocked out the fuel circuit but i'm no spark'

Comment

Hi,

You can send the ECU to be tested (google the ECU doctor snd similar outfits ) and you can also do a paperclip diagnostic test (search on here) and see what codes come up, then post them on the forum.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Falfasrevenge View Post
              Two new batteries 8 months ago.

The main pointer is the "Check" light. When immobiliser was un-armed the green check light came on and it would start (then go out when started). Now engine check light does not come on and it will turn over fast but won't start. I believe the immobiliser has still knocked out the fuel circuit but i'm no spark'
              when you say check light do you mean the glow plug light?
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                when you say check light do you mean the glow plug light?
                Hi, No. The GREEN check light is higher up on the speedo not along the bottom with the rest of the lights. They all work.Thanks.

Comment

Sorry I don't know - i don't have an immobiliser so I have no idea.

Comment

I had a bad starting problem for weeks, thought it was due to all sorts of complicated stuff but it turned out to be a crack in the small (6mmID )rubber pipe that connects the injector un-used fuel return rail to the valve on the injector pump, it allowed air in overnight and the fuel to drain down, too what seemed ages every morning but was prob less than half a min to fire up, and then I had a garage full of smoke,
                    as for imobilisers! nowt but trouble in my book, my lads rover used to just cut out, AA guy said even thye cant get wiring diags for them and advised him to get it removed, had to go to a place that fits them and pay dam near as much as it is to fit em to remove them Big PITA
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Had enough............. not in a position to work on it on main road and haven't the inclination to strip it all apart either.So... after 30 odd years of repairing everything myself.......... i've got it towed to a garage (Known the owner for 30 years and trusted) .

Comment

Let us know what he finds, Sods law strikes again, after posting yesterday that I'd found the cause of my bad starting the effer stopped yesterday, once on the way to Gosport and once on the way back, both time safter nearly finishing the trip, and also both times it started up again no problem, (just annoying for the car behind me
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi,

A quick update..... ECU is fried.

I know the they can be sent to ECU doctors but has anyone an ECU for a 3ltr auto i could beg ,borrow or buy ?

Thanks.

Comment

You could try Vince on febsnowman at talktalk dot net as he may have one after conversions or Terry on jap4x4parts at live dot co dot uk.

Comment

IT'S ALIVE.................... took afternoon off and drove a few hours and collected a second hand one. Original ECU had melted inside. Fitted the second hand one and were all good.............. well, except for ign accessory must have been cut as I've no door windows,stereo or central locking.

Comment

Working...
                              X