Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

I am looking for 16 inch alloys for my 3rd gen surf and I was just wondering what type of alloys you all have on your surfs , are they genuine Toyota alloys or other makes , thanks

I got a set of 4 of these aftermarket alloys off ebay quite a few years back, (been looking for a fifth for ages) I know mine are 15in and you need 16's but keep looking in on ebay, some nice rims come up now and then,
    I did do a fair bit of work on mine to get em shiney, they are three piece split rims, I changed the rims round on the center spider so I have the deep dish rim on the outside, from a label on the rim I found they are made in Japan by "W works" in Osaka, tried several times to find a seller dealing with them but all I got was a Japanese ebay type site selling one gold center rim!
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

those are STUNNING ,Ian

i likey

Comment

Do you have a picture of them on the car

Comment

Hi ian , I think I have located 4 alloys similar to your ones but need totally refurbished, thinking of doing them in silver or black , do you think they would look good on the surf

Comment

Thanks Scott, some more pics, if the rims you've found are "splits" then I guess they will look good, a lot depends on how much works you want to put in on them, the center "spyder" on mine are done I a sort of colour clear laquer, you can get this coloured laquer in several shades I think, (Vince "bushwacker" did some lexus alloy engine parts with it) looks stunning, you need to polish the alloy first, degrease it then apply the laquer, that way you get the metallic shine through the paint, the rims you will prob have to just polish, nothing special about it other than had sodding work, I used polishing mops in an electric drill, hard worh and very messy, I got black hands and face doing them,
            OR if you indent to just paint them they will still look good,
            have you got any pics of the ones you got an eye on?
            as you se from the pics my spare was also a 3 piece split but a different wheel style, 5 spoke, just did the center in red, cheer's ian
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi ian , thanks for the pics your truck looks superb , the alloys I am looking at are very similar to your spare wheel , they are 16 x 8 and came of a hilux , so hoping they will fit my 3rd gen surf , I will try and post a pic of them but they do need total refurb but I like the style of them

Comment

The one on the back isn't a bad design, do you know if the ones your looking at are 2 or 3 part rims? like I say mate it's hard work refurbing these things,
                it makes it easier if there split rims as far as polishing goes also for painting if you want the centers a different colour to the rims, they will look very nice either way,
                if they are splits and you get em don't do what I did, I started undoing all the little nuts and bolts and didn't properly let all the air out, all of a sudden it went BANG! nearly shat myself two part one are easier, you can just undo the center without letting the air out but I'd advise letting it out anyway,
                I did reverse the rim halfs on that spare as well but to my shame I have never tried it on the truck touch wood (well chipboard desktop) I haven't had a puncture, the original outer rim half is very thin and it might just catch on the caliper, keep meaning to try it, but the sodding things are heavy, and i'l old and ferked, recon ther will be a wet-ass moment when I do get a puncture and it's bound to be in the middle of nowhere it should fit on the back though so it'll need some chopping around to get the spare on
                yeah stick a pic of them on when you can.
                Last edited by POPEYE; 14 November 2016, 20:09.

Comment

Not sure if they are 2 or 3 part rims , I will try and post a pic

Comment

Would it be wrong putting Mitsubishi alloys on and maybe fitting my Toyota centre cap so no one would really know , or Isuzu alloys gives me more choice , would it work

Comment

Not wrong at all mate, your truck, your choice, you wouldn't be the first to fit Mitzi wheels, I always thought the stock Toyota alloys (2nd gen) were a bit crap, especially when the old corrosion got at em, one of the first things I did was to get rid of them, saw the Crag country ones I have now and just had to get them, they came down from Scotland btw, Falkirk I think, there are a lot less decent ones on ebay lately I see, one time there were lots of them, now all there seem to be are the spidery spoke things and elastic band tyres

Comment

Hopefully here is a pic of the alloys I was thinking about
                        Attached Files

Comment

They look exactly the same as my spare Colin, they will "do up" very nicely, depends on what you want the finished wheel to look like, myself it's colour and polished alloy but you might want a different look, thye are 3 part rims I'm sure, if you need to strip them you will need to coat the mating faces of the rim half's with a decent sealer, I used a good quality silicon sealant, and had no problems, use it spareingly, too much and it can pop out and leak when you pump them up,
                          I'd strip the centre spyders and polish them then spray a colour lacquer, they will look great.

Comment

Thanks for that , what are the little studs around the wheel are the just decorative or something I need to watch out for

Comment

Originally posted by Big dog View Post
                              Thanks for that , what are the little studs around the wheel are the just decorative or something I need to watch out for
                              if there like mine they are nuts and bolts although I think some rims just have decorative studs, whats on the inside? you should be able to see the nuts if there split rims, I take it you don't actually have them yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X