MPG record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG record

Popped down to Cornwall on the weekend, was in no rush, so thought I'd see what sort of MPG I could get if I drove sensibly. I have a well-maintained 3.0td.

I didn't check my tyre pressures before I left (but were around 30psi a couple of months ago), and stuck to around 60-65mph without keeping too close an eye on things.

I normally potter about quite sedately, and routinely get 25mpg, which I'm quite pleased with as I have a 2" body lift, heavy aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, roof lights and 32" mud tyres.

Taking into consideration that due to the increase in tyre size from stock my odometer under reads by 3.7%, I was able to calculate my trip to Cornwall yielded 30.6mpg!

Result!

Owen

Originally posted by pyemaster View Post
    Popped down to Cornwall on the weekend, was in no rush, so thought I'd see what sort of MPG I could get if I drove sensibly. I have a well-maintained 3.0td.

I didn't check my tyre pressures before I left (but were around 30psi a couple of months ago), and stuck to around 60-65mph without keeping too close an eye on things.

I normally potter about quite sedately, and routinely get 25mpg, which I'm quite pleased with as I have a 2" body lift, heavy aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, roof lights and 32" mud tyres.

Taking into consideration that due to the increase in tyre size from stock my odometer under reads by 3.7%, I was able to calculate my trip to Cornwall yielded 30.6mpg!

Result!

Owen
    Well done mate, I've said it before, I'm jealous lol
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Result!

Owen
      Sounds good.
      How have you worked it out?

Comment

That is good mileage, I have never checked mine and like you I have some heavy metal on it and the lift (2") 33's wider track with reversed rims bal bla os I not bothered to measure it and scare myself! but after running a big block 430in Buick Riv for a while and a similar size engine Chrysler anything else seems a good mpg to me
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Haha yeah know what you mean, my dad and I used to own a 1960 Chevy BelAir with a small block 5 litre V8, that drank a little.

So the way I calculated - I filled my tank to the top (three clicks) at a garage near my home. Zeroed the odometer.
          Drove to a garage in Cornwall, and refilled my tank to full (three clicks again). I then compared the mileage Google maps showed between the two garages with the figure on my odometer.

The reading was 189.7 miles driven. Google maps showed I'd actually driven 197 miles.

(189.7/197 x 100 = 96.3. Therefore, the difference between the two figures is 3.7%.)

I then divided the fuel I had used (29.1 litres) by 4.54 to get my reading for gallons (6.43).

197 (total miles) then divided by gallons used (6.43) gives you the miles per gallon. In this case 30.6.

If I'd stuck religiously to 60mph and double checked all my pressures were the same before I left I reckon I could have reached around 32/33mpg.

Owen

Comment

Its amazing what carful driving can do!

I've seen over 30 MPG too on 33s, 5-6" lift... and a V8

I usually get in the low 20s though, as I don't do economy driving very well.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Haha yeah know what you mean, my dad and I used to own a 1960 Chevy BelAir with a small block 5 litre V8, that drank a little.

So the way I calculated - I filled my tank to the top (three clicks) at a garage near my home. Zeroed the odometer.
              Drove to a garage in Cornwall, and refilled my tank to full (three clicks again). I then compared the mileage Google maps showed between the two garages with the figure on my odometer.

The reading was 189.7 miles driven. Google maps showed I'd actually driven 197 miles.

(189.7/197 x 100 = 96.3. Therefore, the difference between the two figures is 3.7%.)

I then divided the fuel I had used (29.1 litres) by 4.54 to get my reading for gallons (6.43).

197 (total miles) then divided by gallons used (6.43) gives you the miles per gallon. In this case 30.6.

If I'd stuck religiously to 60mph and double checked all my pressures were the same before I left I reckon I could have reached around 32/33mpg.

Owen
              Excellent. I'm glad to see you've worked it out the correct way.
              My BMW 535d only gets just over 30mpg on motorway miles( it is remapped tho).
              Good driving is the key as you've proved.

Comment

Yeah I'm really pleased, it proves if driven carefully at highway speeds it will reach 700km from a tank. With three jerries on board that's nigh on 1,400km of range.

Owen

Comment

Cool, that would just get me into Spain from my house

Comment

Got 32 mpg on a trip from Scotland to Blackpool in my 3rd gen surf , 3ltr diesel sitting about 65-70 mph , well pleased with that

Comment

Done Nottingham > Newquay several times.

Shall we say I suspect I was going slightly over the limit for some parts of the trip.

30 mpg dead on.

Impressed.

Gen 3 intercooled, std tyre size, 40 psi.
                      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

How can you guys stick to 60-65mph is beyond me!
                        Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Easy imagine the fuel cost is coming out of your beer money!
                          Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Working...
                          X