2016 roadtrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 roadtrip

After a whole year of waiting it was finaly time to get the 4runner out of the garage again. Main goal this year: Croatia!
    The original plan was to drive to Croatia and drive to the south all the way to Dubrovnic, and go back using the islands. The last days befor the trip we altered the route and combined some things we would like to see and plotted a route around that.

This 4500 km trip took us 2 weeks and we travelled through 7 countrys: Germany, Austria, Slovnia, Kroatia, Bosnia, Italy and Zwitserland.

This is the route we drove. The things we would like to see were the following:
    1 Porsche Museum (Stuttgard, D)
    2 Camp Dachau (Dachau, D), Deutsches Museum (Munchen, D)
    3 Eagles Nest [Kehlsteinhaus] (Bergtesgaden, D)
    4 Visit @ Toyota Ljubljanja due to cooling problems while klimbing the Grosglockner road.
    5 Split and Hvar (KR)
    6 Natianal Parc Krka (KR)
    7 National Parc Plivice (KR)
    8 Lago Di Garda (I)
    9 Lago L'iseo (I)
    10 Victorinox (CH) Swiss Army Knive manufacturer

This trip I finaly found something that was not working correctly, the viscous coupling for the fan. While klimbing the Grosglockner road we had to wait twice for the engine to cool down. The coupling does work well enough to keep the tems down while standing stil or drive normally, but when it needs to pull the air through while klimbing it doesn't have enough klamping power.
    We went to Toyota centre Ljubljanja in Slovenia and the head mechanic helped us to fix the coupling so the clutch is fixed now. Now that I'm back i will need to find the time to get this problem sorted, because fuelconsumption is much more with the fan fixed. I have to order some oil and try to get the perfect setting for the clutch to do it's work propper.
    Besides this the car performed flawless. I want to start thinking about preparing the car for trips in more distant places and get a propper fridge and a solution for bigger sleeping place.

While we were in Kroatia on a campsite, there was a storm at night. While some tents were being blown away I was comfortably lying in my car. The wind was so severe some people took refuge in the sanatary building to hide from the storm. The following morning my mate told me he didn't sleep at all because of the wind blowing so hard it lifted his head every time it struck his tent..

It was a wonderfull trip, but I was glad we dithed the first plan of driving through Kroatia all the way to Dubrovnik. It was very crowded in the costal area's, too crowded. Then, after driving on Hvar 40 km in a string acros the island we decided to leave the coast and go for the parc's. Mind you we were there at prime holiday time. We did some greenlaning in Kroatia, which was very nice to finaly have a not so crowded piece of Kroatia.

I would have liked to do more of that, but I finaly learned how to find the little dirtroads, and i did not have the right equipment for that on me. But this road took us about 2 hours through some fine landscape. Very nice!

Our camsite for the day. BBQ and my mates chambers and mine..

Dachau entrance

Sunny Eagles Nest.

National Parc Krka

National Parc Plivice

I can really recommend Camp Dachau. I didn't know this but it is actually the best preserved camp of all. It leaves a deep impression...
    Eagles Nest was also very nice to see. It was a House Hitler got as a gift for his 50th birthday from his political party. Although he didn't visit it often, it is a cool thing to see. Grosglockner road is very nice and fun to see. And I would recommend the National Parcs of Kroatia, but in summer i would advice you to go early (opening time). No que and the parc for your self. Most people would go at 11 or 12 in the afternoon, and found themselves in a que of over an hour...

I would love to explore Zwitserland, Austria and Italy in an other trip more.

Wow there's some beautiful scenery there .
    Looks like you had a great trip , did you get any pictures of the lightning in the storm .
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Awesome trip and great pictures!
      I never knew Croatia was like that...
      I recommend you change or refill the viscous fan, when it runs out of oil it doesn't operate as it should and it is blamed for a lot of head failures. Roughtrax do the AISIN one.
      I got a new Toyota one a few months back. Now if you turn the engine on and stick your head in the engine bay there a gale blowing in there , not dissimilar from the storm you were in!

Cheers
      Last edited by tashtego; 21 September 2016, 06:07.

Comment

Thanks! Sorry, now thunder pics, I was vast asleep...
        I can also reccomend Slovenia btw. very nice!

@Tashtego, I will do some research.

Comment

that looks like a great to do, thanks for sharing
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Great trip and pics !
            Thanks for sharing

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for sharing

Comment

Looks great, stunning scenery , how about a road trip to sunny Southsea UK?

Seriously though I bet the Nazi camp was very moving, my son went there on a tour,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                X