Hi All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All

Hi all - just join. Owned my first Surf ('91 JDM-import, 2.4d auto, red with the red interior) since April and really enjoy it. Named Hatty by my boys

Was my commuter bus but now don't have a driven commute, so she's laid up in the garage, being tinkered with most weekends.

What i'm really after is 35" tyres. There's so much on this topic out there. So, sorry to ask a question that's no doubt been asked 150 times before...

I want to add 35" tyres. What's the (in your humble opinions) minimum lift I need to do, both body and suspension (if applicable). I'm building the truck for the looks, rather than anything else. Certainly if it ever goes off road, it'll be very gentle, so articulation isn't something i'm particularly worried about. I want to keep the C.O.G. as low as possible, a la U.S. rock crawler builds. I'm really hoping the answer is a 2" lift and 2" body lift, but...

Thanks for anyone's time who chips in

Minimum 2" sus and body, plus 4.8 ratio diffs, front diff drop kit, cut and modify front foot wells or you wont turn full lock as they will rub. There maybe more but that's all I can remember at the moment.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks Vagrant. Can I rebuild the diffs with different innards, or do I need to replace the entire thing? And to clarify, that's a 2" sus lift and 2" body?

Comment

Originally posted by apggs View Post
        Thanks Vagrant. Can I rebuild the diffs with different innards, or do I need to replace the entire thing? And to clarify, that's a 2" sus lift and 2" body?
        You can rebuild them yes parts will have to come from America and the rebuild will have to be done by a professional

And yes I think he meant 2+2
        Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

You'll need to check, but I think the 4.875 diffs are unique and the gearing will not fit other diff housings. If you want 4.8s, you may need to source the whole diff. Hopefully someone here can clarify this.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            You'll need to check, but I think the 4.875 diffs are unique and the gearing will not fit other diff housings. If you want 4.8s, you may need to source the whole diff. Hopefully someone here can clarify this.

Nev.
            correct. the 4.8's are the odd one out and the gears are not interchangeable with the other gears..

if you want strong diffs use aftermarket gears in any head, just not the 4.8 head.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your comments. Makes more sense now! Off to the inter web to source parts from across the pond. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X