Gen 3 ball hitch bike racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 ball hitch bike racks

Hi peeps, not actually posted for a year or so but glad it's still here.
    Would anybody have any idea of a suitable ball hitch bike rack ?
    Able to tilt down enough to use the back door ,move wheel bar ?
    This obviously depends on a few things, but was wondering if anybody had any luck without ball joint mods.
    Cheers

We have used a Thule 9502 and 9593 rack and currently a Dutch brand which I can't remember.
    All fit well on a Gen 3 with underslung spare wheel but if you have a rear mounted spare wheel, you may need to remove the spare wheel to get bikes onto all the positions.
    We have fitted a 50mm spacer for the tow ball but it still isn't enough for an adult bike to clear the spare wheel.
    Mark

Comment

There IS a UK company that make a tow bar mounted bike carrier that can accommodate a rear mounted spare but I can't for the life of me remember who it is !

I don't remember it allowing access but IIRC it was fairly simple to remove

Google is your friend !

Bingo !

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carrie...r-mounting.php

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Thanks for your input Lads ,I was thinking along the lines of just using the outside fixing points on a 4 bike rack ,hopefully giving enough room for wheel to clear.
        My search goes on !

Comment

Hi, I have a Pendle 4 bike rack and even with a 33x12" mud on the back I can just squeeze 3 bikes on with a bit of juggling bars and saddles. I used a lowering plate on the towbar, 10mm plate bent with 3 light bikes so I've doubled up to 20mm. The tyre just clears the rack, took a bit of careful measuring to get it all set up right.

Comment

Nice
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Hi pictonroad, thanks for posting the pic!
              So does the bike rack tilt down allowing you to open wheel carrier and fully open back door with this set up ?
              At the moment I'm using an adapted halfords hang on the back of a hatchback type bike rack ,that I've retro fitted over the spare wheel with good quality 20mm straps.
              Worked well on the Gen 2 ,but on the Gen 3 with the back wiper being below the back window it fouls the rack slightly , so not able to use rear window wiper.

I'll try and get a pic up on here but don't hold your breath

Comment

No it doesn't tilt.

This is how I see it, unless I'm wide of the mark i don't think it's possible.

A tilting wheel carrier won't let you open the spare wheel. They're designed so that a hatch will clear them, a hatch opens in an upwards arc. The spare wheel opens in a horizontal plane, it's always going to clash.

I've set mine up so the spare wheel just clears the rack when it's empty.

This is the bonus of having a surf, you just open the rear glass to sling stuff in the back.

My rack was only £20 on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                X