Help... It's broken and looks serious this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... It's broken and looks serious this time

Had a clunking strange noise from rear axle so had a look yesterday and have found out that the o/side bracket on top of the rear axle has sheared. It's completely rotted out.

Anyone else had this problem?

I'm assuming the whole rear axle casing needs replacing as the bracket looks like it's welded on. If someone could confirm my worst fears I would oddly be grateful. Apologies for not knowing what the brackets called but it attaches to a short stabiliser arm.

It's a Gen3 SsRg it that helps....

Mike
    1996 SSRG Blue over Silver 3rd Gen 3.0L

Yup, not a rare problem I'm afraid. The drain holes in the uprights were easily clogged so they would sit there full of water.

You can either get a new rea axle housing from someone like milners, or just find someone breaking a surf with the same axle code as yours and swap that over.

I'll have a spare axle at some point, but it'll not be for a month or so, and you'll be wanting one sooner than that!
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
      Yup, not a rare problem I'm afraid. The drain holes in the uprights were easily clogged so they would sit there full of water.

You can either get a new rea axle housing from someone like milners, or just find someone breaking a surf with the same axle code as yours and swap that over.

I'll have a spare axle at some point, but it'll not be for a month or so, and you'll be wanting one sooner than that!
      Something tells me your doing more than regearing????
      Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
        Something tells me your doing more than regearing????
        Landcruiser Prado rear axle... its pretty a straight swap on the 3rd gen and give me rear disk brakes

Alas the one I have suffered from the above... its probably ok... but I kinda have a reputation for being a bit fussy... My Surf one is perfect.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
          Landcruiser Prado rear axle... its pretty a straight swap on the 3rd gen and give me rear disk brakes
          nice, yea i forgot how hairy things can get when you only have drums on the back, think my discs need changing as i can hear them constantly scratching as i drive
          Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Working...
          X