Recovery chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery chains

Sorry posted this in the wrong section last night, might have a better chance of being responded to in here!

I'm looking to add around 30ft of recovery chain to my kit, but can only seem to find 3/8" chain online in 14ft lengths. Does anyone know if there are any issues with using two chains joined by clevis hooks for static recoveries?

Owen

Would have thought recovery strops would be better than chain and can be joined together using shackles
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Yeah I'd be using them more as a last resort for hand winching with a hi lift, and don't want the extra stretch you get with straps if I can help it. Also I'd never shackle the end of a strap, too many horror stories of straps snapping and instantly whipping a heavy metal weight through grills, windows, heads.. No stretch with chain and should just drop if it snaps as each link severs any stored energy individually.

I'm just wondering whether joining two chains with clevis hooks would cause a weak point... As they're rated I wouldn't think they would, but thought I'd check with wiser minds than mine!

Owen

Comment

find a "heavy" recovery firm or heavy haulage firm, they'll have 40' chains. (and tighteners)

Comment

Originally posted by pyemaster View Post
          Yeah I'd be using them more as a last resort for hand winching with a hi lift, and don't want the extra stretch you get with straps if I can help it. Also I'd never shackle the end of a strap, too many horror stories of straps snapping and instantly whipping a heavy metal weight through grills, windows, heads.. No stretch with chain and should just drop if it snaps as each link severs any stored energy individually.

I'm just wondering whether joining two chains with clevis hooks would cause a weak point... As they're rated I wouldn't think they would, but thought I'd check with wiser minds than mine!

Owen

i have always used chains i use de links on the joins tho feels safer to me
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Yeah that makes more sense, couple of rated shackles to join them off each of the last links before the hooks. What lengths do you run out of interest? I'm after 3/8", long as possible!

Owen

Comment

i dont know what size it is but it was for lifting 7 ton and the main one is around 20ft then theres add ons like the 2 legs witch was also for lifting it makes a strong way to make it so 2 cars can pull at the same time i carry around 10 de links of different sizes
              once seen steel wire snap a saw what ot ture throw and its stoped me useing them the strops are the same safer but still slap with force if snaped
              chain can whip but the links take the force out of it its more likely it hit your feet rather than the head
              well thats my throughts on it
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
              X