Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 switch vacuum solenoid wanted

Hi all,
    Recent problems with my 4wd selector button the light on the dash keeps on flashing whether its pushed in or out usually it would switch itself off when in 2wd mode but I have had it in the garage and it seems that the solenoid attached to the gearbox is at fault. Does anyone have one going spare or know of where I could get one bar directly going to Toyota?
    Vehicle is a 96 3rd Gen KZN185 SSRX Manual box.
    I have attached a picture of the faulty part any help appreciated
    Attached Files

KZN 185 part

Hi again,

Still hunting for the part.. comes in many names (4x4 vacuum solenoid)-(Transfer shift actuator )-multi-mode version required.
    Would anyone also know if it makes a difference if the donor vehicle is a Manual or Auto? Is it possible that an American 4runner or Prado would run the same part ?

I am all ears

Comment

If you post your model and frame numbers along with more details of where this part is, I'll look up a part number.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
        If you post your model and frame numbers along with more details of where this part is, I'll look up a part number.

Nev.
        Thanks Nev for the reply,
        I am unsure exactly myself where its located as the garage took these pictures, the garage says its the solenoid on the transfer box that has gone and the Toyota garage says it's called the transfer shift actuator.
        I attach more photos
        Chassis is KZN 185-0024421 its a 3rd gen surf ssrx with manual 4wd multimode year 1996
        Attached Files

Comment

Got it now. Actuator Assy. Transfer Shift. It's not vacuum operated. It's an electric motor that moves a shaft inside the Transfer Case to engage the front Tail Shaft. Test it yourself. Press 4WD button and see if the Tail Shafts locks. If it does then that is not faulty. If not, then it's possible it has got water in it via the hose attached to it, which is just a vent hose for the motor.

Never pulled one apart myself but others have done the second generation ones by opening them up and cleaning the gears and contacts. It's a bit tricky to get everything back together correctly apparently so if you try this, take note of how it all comes apart and maybe even take pics.

I have two part numbers and think yours may be the first.

They are 36410-35040 and 36401-35051. Can't be sure without the exact Model and Frame numbers.

Google both part numbers and you may find more info on them.

I can imagine this part from Toyota will cost a small fortune but will see what I can come up with as I know where to get some parts much cheaper.

Nev.
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 17 January 2016, 11:01.

Comment

ok. Are you sitting down. First part number will cost you GBP407.41 before shipping cost is added. Probably more from Toyota. So hopefully you can fix it or find a replacement.

Second part number I do not have a price for, or can find any info on it at this time.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              ok. Are you sitting down. First part number will cost you GBP407.41 before shipping cost is added. Probably more from Toyota. So hopefully you can fix it or find a replacement.

Second part number I do not have a price for, or can find any info on it at this time.

Nev.
              Thanks for this Nev, I appreciate your input on this.

Yes at that price I wouldn't want any mistakes on the part needed.

Also didn't realise it was two parts that are needed??

I have had a look under the bonnet and have some more code's for you.

Model-KD-KZN185W-GAMXT
              Frame-KZN185-0024421
              Engine-1KZ-TE
              Trans/axle-R151F A02A

Hope this helps narrow it down.

Please excuse my knowledge on the subject as it's all a bit of a learning curve for me.

Had my Surf since 2008 and never had any problems like this before.

Thanks
              Last edited by thetartansurf; 17 January 2016, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by thetartansurf View Post
                Also didn't realise it was two parts that are needed??
                Only one needed. Even with the extra info I still get two part numbers for the same part listed.

The second part number I posted was wrong so should be 36410-35051. It's a little cheaper at GBP387.93.

Google both part numbers and see if you can work out which you need. I'll try and narrow it down to one or the other. Maybe call Toyota and see what they say?

Nev.
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 18 January 2016, 09:21.

Comment

Good News!

I spoke to Toyota today and they have emailed me the diagram attached.

The part is 36410J and the two part numbers you have given are a subgroup of the same part.

36410-35051 is the one I require.

For interest 36410-35051 is the "multi mode" type and the other part number is the "normal mode"

Now looking into quotes or even a used part for cheapness...

I take it that is a new/repro part?

How much extra would shipping to the UK be?

Thanks

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info on the two part numbers. Thought it may have been the multi mode and normal version but was not sure.

I'll send you a link to a source for new parts if you provide an email address.

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev, really appreciate your help with this- send the link to

Hopefully I will be able to get my Surf back to normal again soon.
                      Last edited by thetartansurf; 21 January 2016, 19:14.

Comment

Email sent.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                        X