Brake fade......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fade......

Hi chaps, been lurking but I've not posted for a while because er well, the Surf has been running perfectly since I did the head on it, anyway I got a good bit of brake fade yesterday hoofing the truck through the lanes as I was late....
    Drove it like a bloody rally car for 15 minutes in 4 wheel drive real good fun but the brakes haven't had any work on them since I got it ( except braided hoses and a check over ) so has anyone done any upgrades on a Surf braking system?
    I've seen Roughtrax do some drilled and vented discs are they worth a pop or just replace pads and shoes as I think the old discs are actually ok.
    Thanks for any info.
    Rob

Hi,

Vented discs are kept cooler but less braking surface...I was thinking about them and saw that Europcarparts also do some for the Surf.

The brake shoes were still 80% when I checked recently, with around 170 K (kilometers, possibly higher if clocked), they must wear very slowly.

So I just put new Bosh pads and they made a big difference from the cheap Ferodo imitation I normally use.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

Were you off roading? in the mud?

Gman.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Hi, you've not said what year surf it is??

if it's a 3rd gen, I recommend the Tundra Brake upgrade.

More info here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...t=79539&page=4
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

It's a 3rd gen 96 3.0 diesel.
          I was on road down the country lanes near me, I haven't taken it off road yet as I feel the roads around here are rough enough already Hertfordshire county council hang your heads in shame!
          I just wondered if it's worth twice the cash for the groved discs as a bolt on upgrade.

Comment

not on a surf imho. Proper vented discs maybe but not sure if they produce them for the surf? you want as much stopping surface as you can get! More or more powerful pistons as in the caliper swap would be my choice.

Comment

Working...
            X