WTF is this noise?? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is this noise?? Please help!

After the stuck spanner episode of the weekend, I seem to have a small blow at the back of the manifold. Am investigating today. The most worrying thing though is this noise from behind the dash/near the bulk head. It is getting worse and I have no idea... My hope is that somehow it's connected to the manifold blow because they started at the same time, but I'm clueless!!

Any thoughts?
    http://vid882.photobucket.com/albums...pscsg4qfik.mp4

Dunno if that video works for anyone....

Comment

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...VTYm7vNskKD8lM

Comment

I'm desperate!

Hopefully one of these links work, I'm pretty nervous about the source of this racket! Only happens when driving, not when in neutral. Around 3k rpm although sometimes below. It's a kzn130, 1kzte manual, 1995...

Please have a listen if you can. I'll be forever thankful for any thoughts!

Comment

It's ok everyone, you can settle down now. It was a missing rubber cup washer on an air intake. Thanks for your help! The blow is sorted too, so no need to panic...

Comment

Good job! Couldn't help you with that. never had problems with mine (knock on wood).

Comment

Originally posted by ST185pinjo View Post
              Good job! Couldn't help you with that. never had problems with mine (knock on wood).
              No probs with mine really, I should learn not to meddle! If it ain't broke...

Comment

Originally posted by studiv View Post
                It's ok everyone, you can settle down now. It was a missing rubber cup washer on an air intake. Thanks for your help! The blow is sorted too, so no need to panic...
                Can you try to describe where the rubber cup washer was missing from in a bit more detail please. I have a very similar noise and was about to start checking for a possible cracked manifold.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                  Can you try to describe where the rubber cup washer was missing from in a bit more detail please. I have a very similar noise and was about to start checking for a possible cracked manifold.

Thanks
                  Right, I'm no mechanic so please excuse any inaccurate terms! Looking from the front - the throttle body is on the right of the engine, on top of this is what i think is called the plenum chamber that runs from the turbo. It's fixed with 4 studs. On mine, one stud stayed in place and the nut wound off, leaving the rubber backed washer able to fall off - it did! This must have left a hair line gap that sounded like a mouse on steroids...

The blow was coming from the back of the manifold, it simply wasn't tightened up properly. The gaskets there are metal so pretty bomb proof. It was the bolt right up by the bulkhead that's basically impossible to see and difficult to access. The symptoms were an obvious but subtle blow and a rough idle tick over...

Comment

That's great, thanks. I'll check there asap. I think mine is blowing somewhere, idle is ok but when you accelerate there's a loud ( audible from outside as well ) growling ( can't think of any other way to describe it ), it stops when it changes gear then starts again when the revs increase. From inside it seemed to be coming from under the bonnet beside the steering column, which is why I was thinking exhaust manifold

Comment

We found the source of the blow pretty quickly once we'd removed the heat shield from the manifold. It was only blowing for a day or so but it's amazing how quickly the soot builds up!

Comment

Was going to have a look today but it's never stopped raining

Comment

Working...
                        X