Rusty rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty rear end

My rear section of exhaust collapsed after only 2 years 3 months which made me climb under the back of the truck and get a proper look. Seems like i have a rusty rear end!

Is this common? Id like to keep my truck going for as long ad possible. So would it be best to waxoyl with 'under body seal with waxoyl' straight over it all? Or do i need to set some time aside and attack it with a wire brush, paint it etc

Just i can imagine the wire brush will take me a long time as all the fiddly bits are rusty..

I in the oast have applied waxoyl with a parafin gun, thinned with white soirit and heated up

I always try to get the loose flakey stuff off, then paint the bare parts of the chassis with a rust converter, then a couple of coats of chassis paint (i use smoothrite to be honest) and then a good coat of waxoyl type stuff all over. Although i have found something as good in my local car parts shop that comes in an aerosol tin and is much cleaner to apply. I also fill the chassis with wax as well. Might seem overkill but better than having the chassis go bad

Comment

ok great.

Sounds like I need to put some effort in and pull my finger out with the wire brush !!

I am going to order some hammerite direct to rust paint, but will treat the rust with rust treater and then paint it... sound like a good idea?

The rear trailing arm's, panhard rod, etc are rusty, best to get them out the way? (I need to replace the bushes anyway)

Comment

Sounds good to me. It's a dirty job but once done right just needs a looking over every couple of years. I have started on the rear of mine. Not had this one long and its real good under there so want to keep it that way.

Comment

definitely something worth doing well,took me nearly 3 weeks to wire brush,prep and paint the complete underside of the truck.POR15 for the chassis,expensive,but worth it .waxoyl and smooth hamerite. cost about £60 in total.

Comment

Comment

looks very nice. Top job

Comment

Crikey... that's clean!
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

see, now thats what I want!!!!

Did you remove most of the suspension parts? I will obviously remove the exhaust, and was considering removing the trailing arms, and pan hard rod. I have new bushes for all of these anyway...

i will post a pic of my truck underneath in a minute.

I contimplated removing the body and rolling it, but that seems too technical tbh. What I was thinking, was doing a 'section' at a time, if that makes sense.

Comment

Maybe I am acting too soon? I am thinking of pressing my 2cv into daily action and spend October sorting the truck out. I have somewhere I can work on the truck inside, so weather won't be an issue, which seems to be the best solution, as I would rather take longer and get it right....

Will probably remove as much as I can - Tow bar ETC to paint them off the vehicle
                    Last edited by Jameswallace; 10 September 2015, 16:28.

Comment

I bought 5 litres of this to paint on the chassis and body work after painting it.

Will a wire brush in a drill be to aggressive

http://www.transtools.co.uk/accessor...al-tin-1-litre

(More pics on previous post)

Comment

well,to be fair,mine was in a lot better condition,not been used off road since imported.i found the most helpful thing was a 2'' body lift,gives you all the access you need,and some serious de-greasing and several trips to the jet wash,first.several good wire brushes,different sizes, and some sanding sponges from halfrauds. i did all the prep,then did the painting,then the undersealing.
                        its just time and patience,no tricks to speak off. i had the shocks and springs replaced after.
                        and yes,that was the underseal i used.one tin was plenty enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X