I give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up

What's the knack to removing CV joints off the drive shaft??
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

pull the outer cv boot back, give the shaft a good clean under the boot with some rag and de greaser, then you should see an external circlip holding the cv to the shaft, remove the circlip and gently tap the cv off of the shaft.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Is this coomon to all? It's the XC I'm doing, can't see where the circlip would go on the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        Is this coomon to all? It's the XC I'm doing, can't see where the circlip would go on the new one.
        Andy the circlip is on the shaft. put the drive shaft in a vice,cut off or slide back the outer cv boot,clean the grease from around the inside of the cv. At the top of the drive shaft where it is inserted into the cv is a circlip, you might not be able to see it, but trust me its there. With the shaft F/T in the vice get a big drift and a lump hammer and hit the end of the cv (the edge that slides over the shaft there should be a little raised edge.) hit it hard enough and it will overcome the circlip and slide off.(the circlip is more of a round spring clip)
        Last edited by surfenstein; 25 May 2015, 09:25.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers dude, I'll #### it tomorrow.

Comment

make sure it level on the shaft it will not come off easy as said big hammer or cut it off

Comment

Done!

BFH + LOW = CVs off

Tyres changed too, now ready for the rest of the bits to turn up so I can put it all back together again...caliper refurb kits front and rear, hub assembly and carriers OS and NS, tie rods, ball joints to go...

Comment

Working...
              X