drumming noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
    I will have a look at the bumper area as the paint is still new it should show signs of any rubbing caused if that is the cause of the noise.

I dont think it is the type of noise caused by tyres but I could be wrong.

I know it is very difficult to describe some noise, but at another stab at it, if you could imagine being in front of some mahoosive bass bins and there is a very deep reverb causing the speakers to oscilate, although you can hear the noise it is the pressure that is felt more.

I will see if my ipod can catch it.
    Neither did I. I changed Wheel bearings, UJs, had the CV joints checked and new boots put on, installed free wheeling hubs and had the wheels balanced and the tracking done.

Changed the tyres and hey presto, like driving a Rolls Royce.

If you have access to a spare set of wheels and tyres, maybe a mate you could swap with for a couple of hours, give it a go. You might be surprised.

Of course it may not be this but if you do have access to a spare set you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

Just to clarify you had all the work done and it was the same but the tyres cured it?
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Yup, all the other stuff made no difference.

I'm glad I got it all done though because at least I know all that stuff should be good for a few years to come.

And just to digress slightly, after I'd changed the tyres, installed free wheeling hubs and started using a fuel additive my fuel consumption improved loads. I get 50 miles more per tank than I used to get and that's no exaggeration. I'm not sure which of the above is contributing to this but it's probably a mix of all of them.

Comment

I will give them a look at Mark
          If I am destined to do the bushes
          ?
          Will the bushes drift out?
          Is it worth changing the wheel bearings
          and the top and bottom ball joints
          and refurb the front calipers?

And for your listening pleasure may I present the recent recording of the noise.
          For best results you will need to 1, crank up the bass or 2, put a pair of headphones on
          in particular listen to
          23 - 45 secs
          50 -1.00
          1.08 - 1.40
          1.45 -2.00
          2.00- 2.35
          It is the bits when your ears start buzzing........
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt18bjmburmpsrn/Memo.m4a?dl=0
          Thanks guys
          If it is the bronze bushes Adie, then im afraid its a total hub strip down.yep bushes can be removed using a drift or if you have a word with bio we have a 12 ton press in his garage. Press them out and in without damaging them. It is worth checking all the associated parts of the hub and I would replace if worn
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Mini update
            @mark
            Checked the cv joints (outers) no discernable play, but I think I will know better if I slightly jack up each wheel and try a tye lever

I think Andy mentionedabout flutter from the front valance, did wedge a bit of foam in to try and stop it vibrating if indeed it is that.
            First pass up the dual carriageway way no noise YAY
            return leg noise back BOO

However if the window is cracked open the noise goes....
            Confused.

Going to check all my rotating bits for grease/play
            See if I can fab up some stays for the front valance
            Or getter a bigger sub woofer.
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Just a thought, there are a set of vents in the rear quarter panels with rubber flapper valves, could it be that these are stuck shut and what you are experiencing is cabin pressure.?
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Mini update
                @mark
                Checked the cv joints (outers) no discernable play, but I think I will know better if I slightly jack up each wheel and try a tye lever

I think Andy mentionedabout flutter from the front valance, did wedge a bit of foam in to try and stop it vibrating if indeed it is that.
                First pass up the dual carriageway way no noise YAY
                return leg noise back BOO

However if the window is cracked open the noise goes....
                Confused.

Going to check all my rotating bits for grease/play
                See if I can fab up some stays for the front valance
                Or getter a bigger sub woofer.
                Don't waste your time,,it's air,pressure in the cabin. If it goes with the window open, it's not mechanical.
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                  Don't waste your time,,it's air,pressure in the cabin. If it goes with the window open, it's not mechanical.
                  Gotta agree with that...

Comment

So the air vents are the prime candidates.

Am I right in thinking they are the ones behind the rear bumper side panels?

Where is the internal vent located if there is such a thing?

Ta
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

So the air vents are the prime candidates.

Am I right in thinking they are the ones behind the rear bumper side panels?

Where is the internal vent located if there is such a thing?

Ta
                      The vents are on the rear windows, you will need to remove the plastic inner quarter panels to get at them, good luck with that one they are a pig.The easiest way to check if they are working is to get the engine hot and put the heater on full bore with the fan as high as it will go, go to the outside at the back of the rear quarter light windows and you will feel the hot air coming out.
                      Last edited by surfenstein; 17 May 2015, 17:38.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X