Auto box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto box

Not strictly a Surf question but when your waiting a lights or in traffic stationary for for a min or so is it better to knock the auto box into neutral or leave it in drive. Thinking of wear and tear on the gearbox itself.

Back in the day Baby

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
    Not strictly a Surf question but when your waiting a lights or in traffic stationary for for a min or so is it better to knock the auto box into neutral or leave it in drive. Thinking of wear and tear on the gearbox itself.
    It matters not for wear...possible slightly less by leaving it in gear as the brake bands and clutches don't have to grip moving parts when you pull away again.

There is a tiny improvement in fuel use as your not driving the impeller against any resistance (so less fuel used keeping idle RPM)...I really wouldn't bother (and I don't).

Comment

Had mine over 8 years and never bothered about it really,
      only put it in park, when my right leg aches from holding
      it on the brake. (getting on a bit now)

Gman.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

best to put it neutral.

someone here or on the aussie site did a test and found the auto heated up the water temp a large amount when it was in drive while stopped.

Comment

Driven autos of all sizes for over 20yrs, never moved the shifter out if D when stopped in traffic, never caused any problems with the box or converter.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
            Driven autos of all sizes for over 20yrs, never moved the shifter out if D when stopped in traffic, never caused any problems with the box or converter.
            Same as this ^^^

Comment

Working...
            X