Do I scrap? do I sell? do I mend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I scrap? do I sell? do I mend?

Hi. I am new to this forum, and have decided to come to the experts for advice. I bought a 1996 Surf, 3.0 diesel automatic, in 2003. It has provided fantastic service, and huge fun over the years. But all of a sudden I have run into some problems. I managed to prang it slightly in the worst of the winter weather, and may have a small misallignement in the bit of the front structure which holds the bumper. I was going to the garage to have tracking checked, when my windscreen wiper motor died (in a rain storm, obviously,) and upon checking the tracking the garage found they could not adjust the track rod ends. So, I have found track rod ends (all 4 ) at Milners for about £60 all in. Finding a wiper motor has been almost impossible, with the only one so far uncovered from a wrecker on eBay Tokyo. I have not checked how much out of line the frame is, but the body is closer to the nearside tyre than the offside one. I also have a couple of old battle scars where I was driven into by someone who did not leave details. So, in conclusion - what is the view?? Do I spend money on making good, then sell? Do I try to sell as is?? Do I just bin it. I need to buy a van for the festival season, as I need to get on the road and sell drums which I make, so whatever happens the Surf must very sadly go. Any good advice would be very welcome - but the most important information is the value of the thing as it stands (quite low, obviously,) and the value of it if I can make it good. Then it's simple arithmetic, do I spend £500 to make a car worth £0 now, but only worth £500 once I've spent £500 on it? I am sure many of you have been in this situation, and I'd like to hear any good guidance. Many thanks, TonyB

Hi guys, I am adding to the post, because I have had to make a decision - which is sad but I reckon inevitable. The thing is, tax is due today, so £230, then spend of £300-£500 to mend, and then I have a car worth about £500. And - most importantly, I am trying desperately to launch a new product by selling at festivals this summer. I can only afford one vehicle, so I need to buy a van, and so, as much as I love my truck, I am sad to say it's going to have to go. It really is a sickener as it's been a brilliant truck and I've loved owning it. I have had to SORN it, as today is the last legal tax day. And tonight I will put it on eBay and see if I can gat a few quid. However buys it will have a bargain, as the engine and box are both brilliant.

I want to thank, most sincerely, everyone who has posted with practical help and suggestions, and messages of support. I wish I could have found a different solution, but I feel trapped and have to make the best of a bad deal. Thank you so much for all your good wishes and offers of help, you are a fine bunch of guys, and I knew darn well the forum would offer solid support. Thanks guys......
    Last edited by vikingtone; 30 April 2015, 19:48. Reason: Decision time

The most important factor in your decision is going to be the chassis! You need to find out if it's just body damage causing the mis-alignment or if you have done any damage to the chassis. If you have it's a scrapper!
    If it's just the body you need to find what's bent and if it can be repaired cheaply.......
    Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Evening Tony & welcome.
      That's quite a 1st post.

Few of us live not too far from you, maybe come here, or could come over to yours to view damage & offer advice

Robert.

Comment

Pretty easy to determine if the chassis is indeed bent. Take a tape measure and find a datum point on the chassis that is exactly the same near side and offside.Front x member to centre of strut for instance.The chassis on these trucks is quite substantial. I would of though that a 2nd gen wiper motor would be the same.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Tony, if you can get it to my place in Warwickshire, we've got a two post lift and tools, so you provide the parts and some of the labour, me and I'm sure some of the others here, will provide the rest of it.

No charge, just getting a fellow Surfer back on the road properly!

So, come on - what say you Surfers??????
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
            The most important factor in your decision is going to be the chassis! You need to find out if it's just body damage causing the mis-alignment or if you have done any damage to the chassis. If you have it's a scrapper!
            If it's just the body you need to find what's bent and if it can be repaired cheaply.......
            Alan
            Hi, Thanks for taking time to reply. I absolutely agree - I need to scrabble about underneath and do some measurements. Really doubt the frame is damaged as I hit the berm quite gently, but I will certainly check it over. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
              Evening Tony & welcome.
              That's quite a 1st post.

Few of us live not too far from you, maybe come here, or could come over to yours to view damage & offer advice

Robert.

Hi, and thanks for your offer of help. At the mo' I am avoiding driving it very far as it has no wipers. But if anyone is close enough & wants to kick it's tyres they'd be made very welcome. You're a drummer yeh..... check out my site: bowl-cajon.co.uk thanks again. When final decision are made, I'll post a follow-up.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                Pretty easy to determine if the chassis is indeed bent. Take a tape measure and find a datum point on the chassis that is exactly the same near side and offside.Front x member to centre of strut for instance.The chassis on these trucks is quite substantial. I would of though that a 2nd gen wiper motor would be the same.
                Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. I do agree, and at some point I will slide underneath and see if I can take some measurements. Even if it's only the front outrigger, it isn't out of line by very much at all. As for the wiper motor - it's all very odd. The one which fits the 2.4 is the motor on a mount, and a plug fitted to the main unit. On mine, the motor is on the mount, but a cable about 10" long is attached to the motor, and there's a plug on the end of that pigtail. No pigtail and it won't reach the connecting point. I must confess, I have been surprised that they are so hard to find. I can't even find a generic OEM one. Thanks again for input

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                  Tony, if you can get it to my place in Warwickshire, we've got a two post lift and tools, so you provide the parts and some of the labour, me and I'm sure some of the others here, will provide the rest of it.

Thanks MudSurfer - that's a very generous offer. I daren't come until I have the wiper motor in my grubby mitts, and I haven't found one yet. Your response is exactly the sort of supportive message I was expecting in the forum, and I am really grateful to you for the offer. When I get more info, and start to gather parts, I will post back on the forum and let you all know how it's progressing. Thanks again,

Comment

this guy is a bit near than japan!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for...3436?offset=12

put up some pics!!
                    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

You don't get this sort of help on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by vikingtone View Post
                        Thanks MudSurfer - that's a very generous offer. I daren't come until I have the wiper motor in my grubby mitts, and I haven't found one yet. Your response is exactly the sort of supportive message I was expecting in the forum, and I am really grateful to you for the offer. When I get more info, and start to gather parts, I will post back on the forum and let you all know how it's progressing. Thanks again,
                        Is the Gen 3 motor different to the Gen 2?
                        if its the same i definitely have one..

Comment

This no good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hil...item4cebdbf5df
                          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post

The old "get them to come to the garage and touch their special place" trick !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                              this guy is a bit near than japan!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for...3436?offset=12

put up some pics!!

Well I was being as dim as a daft thing - he's in Ireland and I hadn't used the code. Just chatted with him. It's £100 plus postage, so I'll give it some thought. Or, I should say, her indoors will give it some thought and tell me what my next move is. thanks again
                              Last edited by vikingtone; 29 April 2015, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X