new member here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member here

Hey guys.massive Toyota fan here (soarer, supra Celica etc) currently driving a Subaru legacy tt but want to swap to a hilux surf. What's the difference between gen 2 and 3 ,3.0 diesel model? Any other advice? Cheers

Hi Craig,
    Welcome to the madhouse, the gen 2 is the older of the two and gen 3 is newer and somewhat more sophisticated.

The 3L diesel is better power wise and better driveability than the 2.4L

Hope this helps

Comment

I would get the 3l over the 2.4, gen2 are well cheaper too

are you the same craiglancs of the uklegacy forum cos I have one aswell

Comment

Hi and welcome. Get a 3rd gen, you will not regret it

Comment

Yes that'd be me on legacy forum! Its a nice car, but I've always been a Toyota man. I'll get photos up on here as maybe someone wants a swap

So 3.0td is the one to have then eh, and I'll avoid the 2.4td. How's the v6 2.7 petrol? Is there much difference between gen 2 and 3 apart from size and lsd? 3.0td I'd the same engine yes? As like said above, the gen2 is cheaper, and looks the same

Comment

I have owned six surfs, 2gens and 3gens, diesel and petrol. Currently have a modified 2.4 diesel. I would buy the 3gen 2.7 petrol, however, they are hard to find. Do not buy a 2gen v6 petro they are terrible. The gen3 is a 2.7 four pot and is a great engine, used a lot in conversions in cars as its so strong and can be messed with.

The difference between 2nd and 3rd gen is many. Some basics to start you off. Totally different chassis, bigger inside, steering rack not box. Many have multi mode. The service light is a pain to reset.
            Last edited by yoshie; 12 February 2015, 20:32.
            Brian

Comment

I wish they did a 1jz tho, my favorite engine, best engine ever made
              So what's a steering box as I'm sure all my cars have been steering racks?
              Ok so I'll cross v6 off my list, and as your saying, the 2.7 4 pot petrol is rare, so I'm thinking 3.0td best? I'm not too bothered if I get a gen 2 if it's a bit smaller, as reading in to it it's not too much difference. But just wanted to check it's not too backward so to speak. What's the 2.7 petrol like on fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by craiglancs View Post
                I wish they did a 1jz tho, my favorite engine, best engine ever made
                So what's a steering box as I'm sure all my cars have been steering racks?
                Ok so I'll cross v6 off my list, and as your saying, the 2.7 4 pot petrol is rare, so I'm thinking 3.0td best? I'm not too bothered if I get a gen 2 if it's a bit smaller, as reading in to it it's not too much difference. But just wanted to check it's not too backward so to speak. What's the 2.7 petrol like on fuel?
                The 2nd gen has torsion bar front suspension, the mpg is similar on diesel and petrol model's
                In short the 2nd gen is more agriculture than the 3rd, I love them both.
                Brian

Comment

hi

hi craig lancs
                  im in yorkshire an ex toyota parts manager of seven years i have run these vehicles as company cars since the nineties cant say enough about em I used to export parts to africa back in the day. If I can be of any help with any thing dont hesitate i now own 2 ln 130 2.4 diesels
                  i personally prefer 2.4 diesels they dont suffer the cyl head probs that the 3litre has always suffered (that will open a can of worms)
                  anyway I am new to the site also
                  but welcome
                  regards
                  Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Bigzooks View Post
                    i personally prefer 2.4 diesels they dont suffer the cyl head probs that the 3litre has always suffered (that will open a can of worms)
                    Interesting.......... Ive not heard anyone say that
                    Last edited by Jameswallace; 14 February 2015, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
                      Interesting.......... Ive not heard anyone say that
                      There is a reason for that.
                      Brian

Comment

hi craig lancs
                        im in yorkshire an ex toyota parts manager of seven years i have run these vehicles as company cars since the nineties cant say enough about em I used to export parts to africa back in the day. If I can be of any help with any thing dont hesitate i now own 2 ln 130 2.4 diesels
                        but welcome
                        regards
                        Tommy
                        Hi Tommy, welcome.
                        I think if anything it's the other way round, the 3.0 L seem to suffer a bit less from cyl head issues, time will tell I guess.

PS: Anybody watched 'True Detective' season 1? Very gripping....

Comment

Good morning and welcome.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

hi craig lancs
                            but welcome
                            regards
                            Tommy
                            Cheers! Interesting stuff there. And your quite local to me, I'm only over the border!

Someone mentioned the petrol 2.7 gen 3 being not much different mpg as the diesel. What are some figures please guys?

Comment

Howdy,

new here myself and just bought a 2gen 2.4TD.

The 2.4 engines were also sitting in a lot of Hiace, so I can't see too many issues with them, as they were everywhere.

Have a good look at options though.

There are small differences, that are nice to have. Especially if you want to offroad the darn thing.

A rear difflock is something I unfortunatly don't have in mine, but something that offroad always is a good plan to have

Idle up is something, that is in some Surfs and is a dead handy option. It revs the engine up from about 800 to 1500 on idle, which is handy for warming the engine up, winch use etc.

I found a good read was this FAQ http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/info/faq.htm. Gives you an idea of what is what, when you have no manual.

/M

Comment

Working...
                              X