600w of light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600w of light

after i have put the new bulbs in and the spots on there will be 600w of light on the front of the surf
    will i need to up grade to70 amp altinator?
    or will a 70 amp do it?

cheers
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

I aint got a clue George but your still as mad as ever
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i got in mind eventually, when founds allow fit this, http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-...e-electrical-0
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

600 watts in theory will be drawing 50Amps at 12volts, I say in theory because you will need some hefty wiring to carry that current without dropping the voltage to the lamps too much.
        70 Amps will not cut it, Imagine a stormy night, heater blowing, wipers going, rear window demister etc....you will be over the 70 Amps
        Last edited by Vultch; 13 January 2015, 13:13.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Maybe look into using HID kits on the spots to bring the wattage down. I've got a kit at home to test but haven't tried them yet. (35w instead of 55w iirc)

Comment

If I were in the market for such things, I'd go with a LED bar, they draw much less current.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ht-bars-3.html
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

That LED bar looks good but I'd love to see some pictures taken at night comparing its output with that of the headlights.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

IIRC you use spots for distance and a bar for more localised flood.

Comment

just got a new alternator a few days ago its the 70 amp
                  if i refurb the old one i could put that in plae of the ac pump
                  can that be done?
                  if so how hard is it to wire in ?

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
                    That LED bar looks good but I'd love to see some pictures taken at night comparing its output with that of the headlights.

http://youtu.be/Hl9zTcq1XXs

Looks good, but I don't find myself on unlit roads that often. I have 2 x Lightforce spots on mine and I guess they get about 20 minutes total use a year.

Comment

I had 600W or forward facing light on my 3rd gen (fill beam plus two sets of spots)

It definitely did struggle and I found that after having them, on for a few minutes the fuel gauge would slowly drop down to zero... turning them off and it went back to where it should be.

What I did learn is that wattage does not mean more light...

I was running 100W H4 bulbs before... I just replaced them with *cough* legal Quality 60w (Philips Xtreme vision plus) bulbs and can see ten times better.

Lexus V8 comes with a higher rated alternator... another excuse to justify the swap
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

I used to be into Mk2 Golf GTIs and the headlamps were notoriously poor due to VW just extending the loom to deal with RHD.

On the last one I owned, I had a loom made up that cut all this out and also fitted 100W bulbs. Much better.

Shortly after I drove for a few hours in the evening to see friends for a weekend and when I arrived, noticed my headlamps had cracked with the heat!

Comment

i have 4 100w spots and i was going to turn my head lights into 100w also
                          i need the light to catch the thiefing barstewards that keep robbing on my dads yard
                          iam still doing the project that i have been on with for around 5 years now
                          i was very close to compleating it but for reasons out of my control
                          i was stopped in my tracks
                          now am taking it up again and need the light if i have to get led then i will

cheers guys
                          saved me burning out yet another altanitor

Comment

Fitting the upgrade wiring loom will sort any issues out.

Comment

I should add that the 400w of spots were obviously on a totally separate loom, isolating them from everything else.

It doesn't help with voltage drop!
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X