Still havent bought one !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still havent bought one !

For reasons I wont go into I still havent bought a surf but anyway I now need a large 4x4 with big boot and I keep coming back to the surf..I understand the 3.0 is better than the 2.4 and I have found one with 150k miles, 1994, Diesel Automatic SSR-X, Brand new MOT.. but its an import

They are asking £2k for it..

Am I asking for trouble with an old high miler and an import ?

thanks

The 3 litre is better due to the extra performance, as far as I'm aware, all Surf's are imports, it's the 4 runner that's the UK version. A full MOT is good, check to see if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced previously, if not check the oil filler cap for mayonnaise, make sure you also check for any rust in all the usual places. If the belt and water pump have not been changed recently, either get them before you buy it ( if you do buy it and it's at a dealers ), or negotiate on price if a private sale

Comment

I think 2K is too strong for a 2.4, there have been deals on 3rd gens not much North of that. If it's had the head done, I'd probably say 850-1000 is about right for a 2.4.

If it's tatty, £500.

Good 3.0 2nd gens are around £1500.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Morning Peter

Have you "searched this site" Buying a Surf ?
        Lots of info/tips.

As RebelV8 said 3litre has better performance but still has the potential for head failure.

Try looking for a multi mode later gen 3

Comment

Gen 3 2.7 petrol is more refined and not as many engine issues.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I have had six surfs. 2.4, 3.0, 2nd and 3rd gen and have never had to change a head.
            My brother has had two one 3.0 diesel head replaced and still going strong, one head gasket replaced on his 2.7 petrol still going strong. ( OK the 2.7 used to be mine )

Good maintenance appears to be key and looking after the cooling system and aft. My brothers diesel blew the head because rear heater pipes were corroded.

Not sure that a new head is a big ask if you have had 130k or so and the thing is 20year old.
            They are a hell of a lot of truck for very little money.
            Brian

Comment

Plus a head swap is a doddle. Not free but easy to do.
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                Plus a head swap is a doddle. Not free but easy to do.
                Did you order steak pies?
                Will I pay your sub's, I have some cash in PayPal?
                Last edited by yoshie; 30 December 2014, 12:26.
                Brian

Comment

LOL, I just this minute paid my subs. Oh spooky. see you in half an hour.
                  Alan

Comment

hilux

does anyone know (or close enough with a tape measure!) what the distance from the bottom of the hilux boot ( or tailgate ) to the ground..this is to compare it with the distance of my frontera for my dogs to jump..

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
                      does anyone know (or close enough with a tape measure!) what the distance from the bottom of the hilux boot ( or tailgate ) to the ground..this is to compare it with the distance of my frontera for my dogs to jump..

Cheers

Peter

What??? Are you serious? You think they might not be able to clear it? What are they?...corgis? You could get a little trampoline to help them up...step ladder? You could always pick them up and put them in the boot...anyway, when I'm sober again I will measure for you. This has to be the weirdest question I have seen on this forum, ever. Happy new year!

Comment

height

the reason i ask is that one of my dogs is 16st añd sometimes struggles to jump into high boots so actually quite a serious question but happy new year too ( im not sure ramps or boxes would work..we had to have reinforced 6ft fencing as he put his head thru 3 normal panels )

Comment

OMG, that's 100 Kgs...you must post a picture!

Anyway, my 3rd Gen is 67cm from boot to the ground. Our dog, Milo, is a Great Dane cross, he jumps in no problem. But he's a lot lighter.
                          My suggestions would be:

A) Put him on a diet
                          B) A thick wooden plank to use as a ramp
                          C) An in between point to break that distance in half, around 30 cm high (made out of old pallet maybe?).

Cheers
                          Last edited by tashtego; 1 January 2015, 09:02.

Comment

Working...
                          X