service time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service time

apart from all the nice stuff ive spent £s on already like a new stereo,immobiliser,alarm,smell ies,wax etc etc the only 'service' item so far was a tub of grease!- time to redress the balance towards the 'necessary evils' so just spent £130 at milners on the old girl- all the belts,pads,shoes,filters,rad cap and thermostat. just need the oils and coolant and ready to go - well ready to pester my mechanic neighbour for the cam belt while i do the rest of the bits at his garage. hopefully a crate or 2 of stella should be the right currency!

can anyone reccomend specific makes of oil/coolant flush to use (if any)

whats the engine oil brand of choice on here?

Cheers

Chris

Originally posted by Smokin
    apart from all the nice stuff ive spent £s on already like a new stereo,immobiliser,alarm,smell ies,wax etc etc the only 'service' item so far was a tub of grease!- time to redress the balance towards the 'necessary evils' so just spent £130 at milners on the old girl- all the belts,pads,shoes,filters,rad cap and thermostat. just need the oils and coolant and ready to go - well ready to pester my mechanic neighbour for the cam belt while i do the rest of the bits at his garage. hopefully a crate or 2 of stella should be the right currency!

can anyone reccomend specific makes of oil/coolant flush to use (if any)

whats the engine oil brand of choice on here?

Cheers

Chris
    On the oil just make sure its diesel oil for turbo engines, as lesser oils won't take the heat and cool the turbo properly. More so when tanking down the motorway pulling in and just switch the engine off, latent heat in the turbo will rise and cook the oil, should always let idle fr a few minutes to cool things down.
    Coolant, I used Halfrauds advanced coolant & Mobil oil (I think it was 10 40 but will need to check that)
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I use Castrol GTXD, Bluecol antifreeze and DEI Radiator relief in the coolant.

However Mobil oils are generally regarded as the best lubricants.

Cheers

Comment

I am desperatly trying to find out about an oil that is in use on certain national express coach/busses, made by shell. Seems (if I'm to believe what I'm told) that shell have produced an oil that requires only filterering and filter changes at regular service intervals and is good for above 2 mil miles and still working perfectly well. Admitedly it will be regularly topped up with fresh as the monsterous coach engines burn some up but the idea of an oil that dos'nt break down after time/use/abuse has got to apeal to all eco friendly surf and 4x4 drivers.

Will keep you posted when I find out definate answers.

Fish
        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

thanks chaps - any of you ever used millers oils http://www.millersoils.co.uk
          used their semi synthetic in my jap vtec prelude - came well recommended in a few magaznes - very reasonable as well £16 for 5litres if i remember, also used their classic oil for old engines in my 30 year old landy lighweight.

they have a car/oil cross reference on their site - no surf but a 3litre td 4-runner is listed - would the oil spec be the same for my 2.4? this is a bad cut and paste from the page:

Make TOYOTA
          Model 4 Runner 3.0 Turbo Diesel
          Engine DT
          Year 1994-

Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)
          Engine (DT) Best XFD 5W-40 FULLY SYNTHETIC 5.3
          Good XFE 10W-40 Hi-SYNTHETIC
          Manual gearbox Best TRX SYNTH FULLY SYNTHETIC 3
          Good TRX 80W-90 Hi-SYNTHETIC
          Auto gearbox -
          Differential(s) CRX 80W/90 LS 2.2
          Coolant ALPINE ANTIFREEZE BT 9
          Brake Fluid Best UNIVERSAL BRAKE FLUID DOT 3 -
          Better UNIVERSAL BRAKE FLUID DOT 4
          Wheel Bearings DELTAPLEX EP2 -
          Front differential Best TRX SYNTH FULLY SYNTHETIC 1.9
          Transfer Box Best TRX SYNTH FULLY SYNTHETIC 1.1/1.2
          Hide Notes

if that doesnt make sense have a look at the site.

i would like to use millers if poss as my local garage is a distributor an saves me trvelling miles to get service items - just not sure if the specs are ok or not.

any help appreciated

ta!

Chris

Comment

I can remember a forum debate on the best type of oil quite a while back. I can't remember all of the reasoning but the outcome was to use a part synthetic as you got the best of both worlds (Whatever they were! )

I guess that this is the 10W40 Hi Synthetic.

The link doesn't work by the way.

Rich.
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

cheers rich - just clickied my link and it seems to work

joys of t'net i think!

just got my bits from milners - bugger me thats a big fuel filter! come to think of it the oil filters no baby either - should have seen the size of the one on the vitara i had! positively miniscule (a bit like the battery as well - sure suzuki just butchered some big bike parts!!)

looks like ill be spending tonight trawling the web for info on all the jobs

take care

Chris

Comment

Yup, it works now

Originally posted by Smokin
                cheers rich - just clickied my link and it seems to work

joys of t'net i think!
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
                X