Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Hi,wasn't sure whether to post under general tech or 3.0,so posted here(more chance of being read anyway)

I have noticed on my 3.0 Surf(manual transmission)when in neutral or with clutch engaged when I rev the engine,both gear levers move about a quarter an inch to the right (in unison).What,if any,could be the problem?,there is no movement when in gear.Cheers.
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    Hi,wasn't sure whether to post under general tech or 3.0,so posted here(more chance of being read anyway)

I have noticed on my 3.0 Surf(manual transmission)when in neutral or with clutch engaged when I rev the engine,both gear levers move about a quarter an inch to the right (in unison).What,if any,could be the problem?,there is no movement when in gear.Cheers.
    Not sure how movement this normally produces on a manual Surf, but it is quite common on many vehicles, as the engine is revved the torque caused the engine/gearbox assembly to rotate slightly in its mounts. Another 3rd Gen manual owner should be able to tell how much movement they get. Amount of movement may also be dependent on what you rev it to, and how quickly you increase the revs, ie gradually increase the revs, floor it, etc.

If the movement is determined to be excessive for the your model, it likely points to worn/soft/damaged engine or transmission mounts
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Its a good sign, prove's your making plenty of torque! The more power your putting out, the more it will move.

The old 4Runner moves about 1 1/2" when reving it.

Its perfectly normal, relax.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

doesn't happen in fwd motors cos it's a remote gear stick usually on a rwd it sticks straight out the box... on the auto's the 4wd selector moves but the gear doesn't cos it's connected differently.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks people.