Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4cylinder head

Hi
    Looking to buy a 2.4 turbo diesel surf. I have read about the problems with cylinder heads. The one I'm looking at has had a new head fitted. Does this mean that the problem has been fixed or is it likely to happen again.
    Pardon my ignorance!
    Any advice gratefully received, also anything else to look out for?
    Thanks

If the head was new and the install was done properly then it should be fine. Keep the cooling system in good working condition, avoid heavy towing and do the oil changes.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Head

I'd wonder what caused the head to crack in the first place because if that problem wasn't sorted it may happen again.
      Could have been down to the condition of the radiator, water pump, fan hoses.

If its running on the original radiator I would look to upgrade with a new decent one.

Comment

the original 2.4 heads are prone to cracking on there own. common fix is to fit the 2.8 head.
        however there is other reasons for heads to crack. overheating the engine is a big one. high egt's due to sooted up intake (egr), worn/faulty injectors etc
        getting rid of the egr helps a lot. improving airflow and intercooling keeps egt's down.

Comment

the water ways on the early 2.4's were to close to the edge and was a design fault.Toyota realised this fault and then fitted the Hilux 2.8 litre 3l head which was a better design and less problems occurred when these were fitted.If you have the last of the 2.4's from 93-94 then the head should be the 2.8 litre 3l fitted as standard.There still have been heads cracking etc on the later trucks but alot of that is down to maintenance etc not being caried out
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
          X