Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th gen surfs

Hi all. Been ages since I've been on here as been surf-less for too long

But I now have a small import business and thinking about getting back into the surfs. So wanted to ask you experts what your experience.knowledge of the 4th gen surfs are?

Do you think there is a demand for fresh imports of the 2002-2005 model, most likely the petrol versions?

Would be quite pricey at around £11-13k on the road but would be a low mileage, top quality truck with most of its life ahead of it and more modern than the ones we're used to in the UK. Could be good starting point for an overland vehicle?

Just a bit of market research so any thoughts appreciated...

Been researching 4th gens myself, seen them @£4000 on some exporter's websites.
    So with shipping and taxes/paperwork, I reckon £7-8000 on the road over here for an '03/4.

Comment

I think at that price they will be bottom end of the quality range and high miles (possibly clocked) as the better ones go for a lot more than that at the auctions and that's before the exporters profit.

If you imported one yourself I'd say allow £10k for a decent one.

Comment

Can digital odometers be 'clocked'?

Comment

I'm afraid they can. Big problem in Australia. But a good exporter/importer will be able to provide documentation to prove mileage beyond reasonable doubt. The export certificate shows the mileage at various points from time in Japan.

Comment

The other thing to conciderd is the high road tax on post 2001 vehicles,
            £400+ that will put people off a bit.

Comment

The good thing about imports is that they are still taxed at the pre-2001 rates even if they are younger cars! So only £230 for the year.

Comment

I saw a few 4th Gen 4Runners in the US last year and really liked them.

However if you're talking 10 grand or so, people might prefer a UK car such a low mileage, 'younger' Land Cruiser...especially for overland/expedition purposes.

Cheers

Comment

That's a fair point. There are definitely various UK landcruiser options for that money. Possibly not with the low mileage of a fresh import though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Can digital odometers be 'clocked'?

Much easier than the analogue clocks.

Ive heard of a guy who does 'correction', (which i think is wrong!) and its fiddly but the digits will always line up!

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                      I saw a few 4th Gen 4Runners in the US last year and really liked them.

However if you're talking 10 grand or so, people might prefer a UK car such a low mileage, 'younger' Land Cruiser...especially for overland/expedition purposes.

Cheers
                      The old Vs new overland question.. I have been talking to quite a few people "on the road" like we are. We opted for old because of the fixing the truck in the middle of nowhere problem. Others agree with this and tell tales of people they have met with newer trucks completely stuck because of newer tech going wrong and having to get recovered 100's of miles to the nearest Toyota dealer.
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Oh yes, you don't want anything too advanced, but the 4.2 LC or the D4D engines are now found everywhere.

Comment

This thread has got me thinking about a newer Gen 4 Surf. I have had a look at the Japanese export vehicle sites. Most are 2.7 petrol automatics with around 80k km.
                          A couple of questions:
                          What is a 'automanual' gearbox? if it is an Alfa Selespeed type hydraulically operated manual gearbox I would run a mile.
                          Which engine is 4000cc? Is this an updated 3.8L V6?

Cheers,
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                            This thread has got me thinking about a newer Gen 4 Surf. I have had a look at the Japanese export vehicle sites. Most are 2.7 petrol automatics with around 80k km.
                            A couple of questions:
                            What is a 'automanual' gearbox? if it is an Alfa Selespeed type hydraulically operated manual gearbox I would run a mile.
                            Which engine is 4000cc? Is this an updated 3.8L V6?

Cheers,
                            Mark
                            Not seen an automanual gearbox in a Surf, unless they mean Tiptronic with buttons on the stering wheel?

JDM 4th gen Surfs are 2.7 and 3.4 (V6) petrol.

The 4.0 VVTi V6 replaced the 4.7 V8 (In the U.S.A.) as it's smaller/lighter but produces the same amount of power.

Comment

Personally I think the petrols make a better all round car for the UK so I'm not out off by the lack of diesel. But for overlanding I can see the diesel LC models being more popular.

I think the 4th gen seems to retain the trusted engines and mechanicals of previous models but with updated exterior, interior and gadgets. Just need someone to give me an excuse to import one!

Comment

Working...
                              X