Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just use normal diff oil?

Hello all,

Have been searching, but drawn a wee bit of a blank. My truck is missing the vin plate.

It's a '92 2.4 auto (ooh, exotic rarity I hear you say!?!), with a leaky front seal on the rear diff (breather looks crusty). Anyway, I have the seal, and some non-lsd diff oil, and was after confirming the presence or absence of a lsd. I read on here that you can check by jacking up the rear, but it may not be conclusive just turning the axle by hand?

At 130km's, I understand that even if it was lsd, it probably isn't very much so now anyway, I don't do any serious off-roading (tracks, fields only), can I just use the ordinary stuff? I can't see (on here or the vehicle), any other locations for the axle code. Any and all help is of course much appreciated.

As an aside, I also discovered that the jeep was a cat d write off at some point, but it passed it's VIC check no bother on Tuesday, even without the VIN plate. I was expecting a query at least!

Cheers all, have a good weekend.

http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/other_marques.html
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

if you email him, he will have your vin plate

Comment

Thank you Budweiser,

Do you mean he'll have records of my jeeps' other details if I give him the vin (frame number)?

Cheers, Ron.

Comment

The chassis number is stamped onto the frame behind the driver's side front wheel.

This is s TOYOTA forum by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ToyotaRon View Post
            Thank you Budweiser,

Do you mean he'll have records of my jeeps' other details if I give him the vin (frame number)?

Cheers, Ron.
            no, you buy of him the vin plate, and then you stamp it with your surf details, it should look like this one on the pic
            Attached Files

Comment

Haha, I do try and remember... to be fair it is a 'General Purpose' vehicle, as the original Willy's 'jeep' was.

I know the vin, I knew where it was stamped on Hiluxes when I bought it, hence wasn't worried about the missing vin. What I was after is the axle and transmission codes etc, the other stuff that's on your vin plate?

There maybe is no way of getting this info now, I'll just replace the oil with lsd stuff to be sure.

Just to annoy everyone some more I'm off to hoover the house with my dyson!

Comment

Just seen your reply Budweiser,

Aye that's what I thought you meant, it's not so much the plate I'm after (doesn't bother me much tbh), but the details that would have been on it!

Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Working...
                X