I'm getting a surf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting a surf.

I have managed to arrange to swap the gen 2 3.0 surf that i purchased for my missus when we were still together and £500 for my Shogun Sport.

The Surf don't need anything doing to it really, however it has road tyres on it so i want to swap to all terrains, car has 16" rims, not sure how wide they are but they are quite wide.

Im going to lift the truck, probably with a 2" body lift first as its cheap enough that i should be able to buy that and 4 tyres out of the 500 quid im getting with it.

What size tyres do you guys recommend for a 2" lifted truck on 16" rims?

I'll be getting a 2" suspension lift as well but it may take a while, truck will do mostly road miles so it must stay usable, although i do want it to look tough and it will do some off roading, so not going for super ginat rubber, but I dont want it to look under tyred.

cheers guys, has taken a while to get here, but i'm here now!

Ideal you need 2" body and 2" suspension lift to fit 33s or probably 315 in a 16 rim size. That will kill you mpg as well. Easy way to get the look and keep usable, remove the side steps and fit 31" mud tyers with aggressive side wall pattern and don't bother with any lift.
    Brian

Comment

Good advice I suppose.

lol, maybe I'll take it easy to start with, but It wont get used that much, I have a work van and I think I've done about 50 miles in my Shogun in the last three weeks!

Comment

Dammit delays delays!

MOT date was checked and she realised it had run out, she put it through and the steering idler arm needs doing so she's insisted on getting that done and waiting for the part to arrive!

Good it'll have a fresh ticket but I WANT MY SURF!

Comment

Can you get 31" tyres for 16" rims?
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
            Can you get 31" tyres for 16" rims?
            Yep its a 305 metric.

Or were you just jumping on the pedantic band wagon?
            Last edited by yoshie; 1 July 2014, 23:22.
            Brian

Comment

I don't like the look of the wind deflectors on the side windows or the extra little mirror either, so I'll be whipping those off with the side steps soon as I get the chance.

MPG not massively important as it won't be a daily driver so i might be able tp put up with running bigger tyres although I saw someones on here a while back in an old thread that was lifted a bit but running stock sizes with a lot more offset on the wheels and it looked great so I might hunt for wheels first.

Comment

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
                I don't like the look of the wind deflectors on the side windows or the extra little mirror either, so I'll be whipping those off with the side steps soon as I get the chance.

MPG not massively important as it won't be a daily driver so i might be able tp put up with running bigger tyres although I saw someones on here a while back in an old thread that was lifted a bit but running stock sizes with a lot more offset on the wheels and it looked great so I might hunt for wheels first.
                This post needs a link so we can see what your are after.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

post no.8

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64680

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    Yep its a 305 metric.

Or were you just jumping on the pedantic band wagon?
                    I'm no pedant Brian. I had a set of 16" rims a while back and was looking for 31s to go on them but couldn't find them, but it didn't occur to me to look at essentially the next size down. As it was I used a set of a Fondmetal 15" rims I had instead and put Nexen 31 muds on, not too knobbly, they look like a very aggressive A/T...
                    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

let us know what you going to do with those window deflectors, thanks
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I reckon i'm gonna get 4 of these,

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/prod...ap%29&id=16207

and 4 of these,

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/prod...name=&id=31267

I have used the KL71s before both on and off road and been happy with them and I have always liked the look of the Modular D rims, should look ok on a black truck with blacked out windows.

Internet says that's 32.8" tall, so will need the body lift I guess.

Opinions?

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                        let us know what you going to do with those window deflectors, thanks
                        I dunno,if they are all ok and if I get them off undamaged then £40 the set posted?
                        Last edited by popuptoaster; 2 July 2014, 23:30.

Comment

Opinions?
                          32.8 is there or thereabouts a 33 inch tyre, you won't get them on with a two inch body lift unless you cut/bash the inner wings and severely reduce your turning circle.

If you're going to do a two inch body lift, it isn't much more work to fit some spring spacers up the rear and turn the torsion bars, for four inches overall, you'll get the 33's on then.

Don't bother with up rated torsion bars, why would you want to lift a truck and stiffen then front suspension? Better to keep the flex with standard bars, you won't be making the truck any heavier after all.

And unless you can get them khumos for less I might think about something else, that's bordering on BFG money, better tyres that will last twice as long.

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                            32.8 is there or thereabouts a 33 inch tyre, you won't get them on with a two inch body lift unless you cut/bash the inner wings and severely reduce your turning circle.

If you're going to do a two inch body lift, it isn't much more work to fit some spring spacers up the rear and turn the torsion bars, for four inches overall, you'll get the 33's on then.

Don't bother with up rated torsion bars, why would you want to lift a truck and stiffen then front suspension? Better to keep the flex with standard bars, you won't be making the truck any heavier after all.

And unless you can get them khumos for less I might think about something else, that's bordering on BFG money, better tyres that will last twice as long.

http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk
                            BFGs are not as good on road as the Khumos, they grip less in the rain and are noisier, I'd rate the Khumos higher overall on road and at least as good off it in UK conditions.

BFGs been around so long though they are seen as unchallengeable but im not keen on 'em, truck will be on road mostly (as are most 4x4s) so stopping in the wet is important as well as not having to put up with the drone!

I think the BFGs have stronger side-walls and probably last longer, but i don't go rock crawling and the KL71s don't wear out so fast I'm worried about it.

Suspension lift is no bother, was gonna crank the front a bit to get truck level anyway, might fit F/W front hubs and drop the diff a bit too if needed.

Tyres are always an arguing point, I had KL71s on my old Vit and was well pleased with em, but i know guys who swear they are rubbish.

Comment

I'm not asking for opinions and then shooting them down by the way, just trying to provoke a discussion in case some ideas come up i've not thought of, you lot may be able to convince me to buy other parts instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X