No announcement yet.

New Surf new woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmm. Yeh, that could well be the case.

I might see if i can have some fun with this while trying to fix the effin' thing - fake lawyers letters and such. Doubt I'd be able to prove anything but might be able to make him sweat : )

Comment

Just a thought did you buy it through ebay?
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        Just a thought did you buy it through ebay?
        Nah. Ad in Autotrader.

Comment

Oh well,bang goes the theory of looking at his purcahse history to see if there is any snake oil/wonder cure products recently purchased....

Anyway

Your Ducati, twin shocks?
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            Oh well,bang goes the theory of looking at his purcahse history to see if there is any snake oil/wonder cure products recently purchased....

Anyway

Your Ducati, twin shocks?
            Twin shocks? No such luck. But last of the carburetor 900ss and a nice wee bike. Always makes me smile to ride it. Running good but messing with undiagnosed current leak and the mo - as if I didn't have enough to do with Jap trucks!
            You into bikes?

Comment

Hi Jon,

Was gonna post what Bazcam did but he beat me to it, 100% agreed.

Personally I'd be highly tempted to haul it back and start shoving bits up the seller's arse 'till he cacked my coin up, but maybe that's just me... *see edit

People like that, are what give people a bad name. :

Whatever you decide to do good luck, and welcome... we try to be a better crowd, here.

*Edit: Wearing a hi-vis of course, and only after everything was properly sterilized, so as not to violate health&safety.
              Last edited by MadScott; 17 June 2014, 04:06.

Comment

Wot he said ^
                Dirty chiselling scum bags are the bane of private motor sales.
                I speak from personal experience after a hate/hate experience with a dis-astra.
                Trying to get the seller to even pay for the parts let alone give a refund was very very taxing.This was via eBay, and although they got involved no refund was issued and as far as I can see all that happened was his account was suspended.

It's a shame that the seller claims for unemployment benefit whilst having a signwritten van registered to him at his house..... which is weird as it came up in conversation with a very good friend of mine who happens to work for HMRC

Karma sometimes isn't instant
                Last edited by shokenore; 17 June 2014, 07:20.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of luck.......

Can only sympathise, but tales such as yours are probably the main reason I am not taking the plunge, I don't have your level of expertise so would be looking at a big bill or write off........
                  Not popular at home - "don't see why you needed one in the first place etcetc".
                  Somebody reassure me that this is a rare occurrence.........

Comment

Originally posted by Martin4639 View Post
                    Can only sympathise, but tales such as yours are probably the main reason I am not taking the plunge, I don't have your level of expertise so would be looking at a big bill or write off........
                    Let me reassure you Ref "head problems".

Owned our Surf two years. Two mot's later with no problems
                    But I did buy a replacement head At the right price (thanks Andy V) just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin4639 View Post
                      i had similar concerns,having joined here before buying a surf. but the advice here was a great help when it came to buying. im not at all mechanically minded, but with the advice from the 'how to buy a surf' section, and having read (quite) a few threads, i managed to walk away from a couple nasty ones with bad heads, and a few that were on their way.having met and spoken to barry from roughtrax, i really believe that the legendary head/ cooling system problems are down to poor upkeep and neglect. i would never take a car or a bike on a long journey without a good service history,and checking the fluid levels, and doing 200 miles a week commuting, i keep my vehicals well serviced. i would not let things like this put you off, at the end of the day,as with all cars, there are good ones ,and bad ones. F.S.H is always a good sign.

Comment

20years old 150k mile and the head goes. I would call that very decent life span not "legendary problems"
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          20years old 150k mile and the head goes. I would call that very decent life span not "legendary problems"
                          I agree... Plus I'm putting my faith in a surf to take me around the world making sure I service it and look under the bonnet very regulary. ( guess it will something to do at the end of each day..)
                          .... Which was nice.

Comment

I disagree with Yoshie and Overland Tonka on this one.
                            For a head to go after 100K or 150K is not that impressive, if compared to other Toyota engines. The 3L and 5L engines found in pick-ups over here often clock up 400K miles and counting, without ever being opened. Not to mention the 4.2 LC engine, especially the non turbo. And they lead a hard life here, often serviced with cheap parts and cheaper oils.
                            I love the way surfs drive, and how they are really versatile, but in my opinion they have not been given the best diesel engines, in terms of durability.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                              I disagree with Yoshie and Overland Tonka on this one.
                              For a head to go after 100K or 150K is not that impressive, if compared to other Toyota engines. The 3L and 5L engines found in pick-ups over here often clock up 400K miles and counting, without ever being opened. Not to mention the 4.2 LC engine, especially the non turbo. And they lead a hard life here, often serviced with cheap parts and cheaper oils.
                              I love the way surfs drive, and how they are really versatile, but in my opinion they have not been given the best diesel engines, in terms of durability.
                              May not be their finest hour, but compare it to other cars or trucks worth £1500. A £1000 head rebuild after 150,000 miles isn't bad going. There are plenty out there giving up the ghost at 70,000.
                              To buy a Toyota with the engines you mention would need much deeper pockets. Old 80 series £4500 plus, Trooper £10,000 starting price and a Hilux pickup £4,000 plus.

A surf with the head sorted.... £1000 for the truck and £1000 for the head. Then look forward to 150,000 more happy miles. That's alot of trips to Tesco's.
                              Last edited by Overland Tonka; 22 June 2014, 19:56.
                              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Sure, I see your point, and compared to other makes there is no...comparison.
                                However I'm after a 2.8 surf, 3L engine, coz I think it will have the confort of the surf and the resilience of the pick-ups.
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X