No announcement yet.

interesting! but where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably not the cheapest way of doing it but I don't have the time or working space to do it myself. Cheaper than a divorce, which is what it would come to if I melted the lights in the oven and filled the house with paint and fumes.

And it was her indoors that said my lights were crap after she'd done the rounds in it... So she started it...

Ordered new clear-lens lights from noppin.com
    (http://www.noppin.com/portal_ya_deta...n%2Fk202262981)

Shipped them to http://www.headlightretrofits.org.uk/

Plan is to fit them over the weekend.

If you do fancy doing it yourself, I would do as Karma Supra suggests above - buy the 4Runner lights from ebay.com, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-20...FWAveg&vxp=mtr

Doesn't matter that they are LHD spec as the internal reflector will not be used. I used noppin and got Jap replacements because I wasn't, at the time, completely sure if LHD/RHD would be a factor but I don't think it is if you are gutting the lamp and not using the reflector surface inside the lamp (by painting it black!)

If you check t4r.org and search for "HID retrofit" there are plenty of threads describing the process and where to get the projector lenses and ballasts etc.

Will of course post pics when the new bits are on.

(3rd Gen)
    Last edited by J i m s t e r; 27 January 2016, 09:54.
    Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
      Probably not the cheapest way of doing it but I don't have the time or working space to do it myself. Cheaper than a divorce, which is what it would come to if I melted the lights in the oven and filled the house with paint and fumes.

And it was her indoors that said my lights were crap after she'd done the rounds in it... So she started it...
      LOL!

Looking forward to see these on...
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Update: No update.

I took them to my electical wizard but he didn't get them fitted, ultimately. Getting the grille out seems to be a pain and then dismantling the spotlamp cabling will need to happen as these are wired through the grille. New 2002 grille and sides going in at the same time. He'd put aside a couple of hours but ran out of time.

Further reading on the t4r.org site seems to reveal a few methods for getting the grille out on your own, but first time the clips are apparently very tight and need a fair bit of encouragement. The alternative is to monster it out and mash the clips, and cable-tie it back. Seems legit. I might do a Satoshi on the old grille.

Be about a month before he gets a full day to go at it. I'll try to perfect some method for saving him time on the grille in the meantime - anyone else with tips regarding this, chime in!

Comment

Don't wrench it out.. the clips are designed to break.. but in reality the plastics on the grille will also break with age.

You can get them out you just need to be careful, use long thing flat tipped screwdrivers and pop each clip one at a time.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Headlights done! And new sidelights! And new grille!

Before:

After:

Dunno about removing the A-bar now and losing the fogs. Don't want it looking too cluttered. Didn't get any decent pics with them on but it's a big difference

Comment

As per Facebook...Looks good!

Is it all aligned?

What's it like to live with?
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Beam is all spot on, garage said they were really well done.

First proper use this morning, 6AM blat down to Cov in sheet rain for an hour. All good so far!

What's left to do on the truck:
                Alloys (splits being refurbed)
                Spacers (hub centric)
                LED rear lights and brake light (Noppin sorting this)
                New OG "Surf" badge for the spoiler (got)
                Interior black?
                Raptor liner the underside and frame?

Comment

that looks good!
                  the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                    Beam is all spot on, garage said they were really well done.

First proper use this morning, 6AM blat down to Cov in sheet rain for an hour. All good so far!

What's left to do on the truck:
                    Alloys (splits being refurbed)
                    Spacers (hub centric)
                    LED rear lights and brake light (Noppin sorting this)
                    New OG "Surf" badge for the spoiler (got)
                    Interior black?
                    Raptor liner the underside and frame?
                    Good Taste!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X