Engine maintenance... things to do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine maintenance... things to do??

After almost a year of trying to sell my 6KM/L Surf (1994, 1KZ-TE) with out any luck, I have finally decided to put in a small amount of money and maintain the engine. Almost all buyers who came forward were turned off by the fact that the car was smoky when reved and the grayish smoke from the PCV (the dirty and oily engine bay might also have been the culprit).

So finally, I am gonna go a service with my mechanic buddy. My mechanic has listed things to replace. I just want to know what the community thinks about what should be done. Remember, this is gonna be done on a tight budget. What parts should absolutely be replaced?

EDIT: Let me clarify things. I want these thing to be done once the engine is opened up. Its probably a serious maintenance, I just said small service since ma buddy said "its simple".
    Last edited by tamrat; 23 May 2014, 18:07.
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
    After almost a year of trying to sell my 6KM/L Surf (1994, 1KZ-TE) with out any luck, I have finally decided to put in a small amount of money and maintain the engine. Almost all buyers who came forward were turned off by the fact that the car was smoky when reved and the grayish smoke from the PCV (the dirty and oily engine bay might also have been the culprit).

So finally, I am gonna go a service with my mechanic buddy. My mechanic has listed things to replace. I just want to know what the community thinks about what should be done. Remember, this is gonna be done on a tight budget. What parts should absolutely be replaced?
    After shaking my head a few times.
    The pcv should NOT vent to atmosphere.
    It should feed into the air inlet to be combusted.
    Even with the worst of "bush mechanics" this should be possible.
    Minimum service items for the engine bay should be
    New oil.
    New oil filter.
    New air filter.
    New diesel filter.

You do realise that if you had invested in these items before trying to sell you would probably have had a fat wallet by now.
    But kudos to you for trying to sell a car for a year, with that level of perseverance anything should be possible.

BTW how did you calculate that fuel consumption?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Oil, oil/air/fuel filters. Timing belt and tensioner. Then until money runs out, water pump, thermostat, coolant, glow plugs, maybe check and top up or replace viscous fan silicon oil. If its auto, change the ATF, change any diff oils, grease prop shaft and any ball joints which are greasable
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        After shaking my head a few times.
        The pcv should NOT vent to atmosphere.
        It should feed into the air inlet to be combusted.
        You do realise that if you had invested in these items before trying to sell you would probably have had a fat wallet by now.
        BTW how did you calculate that fuel consumption?
        Yes, I know. I can see that its fed to the intake pipe. The smoke appears when you remove the PCV pipe from the valve cover. And the mechanics the buyers bring to inspect the car didn't like it at all.

I should have probably made my question more specific. I had done those things less than a year ago, oil change 2 months ago. Car is rarely driven. Once a week mostly. What I want is to open up the engine and do a few more serious things like new piston rings and gasket and stuff. My buddy said new rings, gaskets, seals and a good clean is enough once we get in there.

That fuel consumption was calculated about a year ago. I topped up the engine (around 57L) and manage only 300KM before warning light came on. The car is in no better condition now.

Comment

Yes, I know. I can see that its fed to the intake pipe. The smoke appears when you remove the PCV pipe from the valve cover. And the mechanics the buyers bring to inspect the car didn't like it at all.

I should have probably made my question more specific. I had done those things less than a year ago, oil change 2 months ago. Car is rarely driven. Once a week mostly. What I want is to open up the engine and do a few more serious things like new piston rings and gasket and stuff. My buddy said new rings, gaskets, seals and a good clean is enough once we get in there.

That fuel consumption was calculated about a year ago. I topped up the engine (around 57L) and manage only 300KM before warning light came on. The car is in no better condition now.
          You have listed two issues fuel consumption and the rocker breather doing it's job.
          Yep sounds like a sound plan strip down an engine to find out that nothing is wrong with it.
          Get a compression test done first.It could just be a valve stem seal that needs to be replaced.
          Without actually seeing the amount of oil vapour that is present with the rocker cover breather removed it is hard to gauge whether it is excessive or not.However that is the function of the rocker cover breather.

300km to the light comes on is not a accurate measure of fuel consumption.
          How much did it take to top up what you had used?
          A more accurate measure would be to brim the tank drive a 100-200km brim the tank and repeat.

Compression test.
          Accurate fuel consumption test.
          Then see if anything actually needs attention.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            that is the function of the rocker cover breather.

Compression test.
            Accurate fuel consumption test.
            Then see if anything actually needs attention.
            So, what the hell is wrong with all the mechanics? Everyone was complaining about it. And I took it for granted that my engine had problems.

About the refuel, I am not sure but i think it was around 50L.

Compression test....on it, sir. I just need to find a guage.

Comment

So, what the hell is wrong with all the mechanics? Everyone was complaining about it. And I took it for granted that my engine had problems.

Can you get some video of it for us?

...and not all mechanics have a clue what they're talking about *cough*.

Comment

Tamrat, are you in Addis?
                There used to be a few garages that did the maintenance on the UN and NGOs vehicles...get them to have a good look at it and give you a list of jobs that need doing...It might be worth the expense and save you some money. Just before your mechanical buddy starts stripping the pistons off and stuff...
                Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X