yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a loverly Surf but in need of some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a loverly Surf but in need of some advice.

Hello all, hope you are having a good day.

Been on the hunt for the right surf/hilux for many years now. I am 21 and looking to upgrade the car now I have a full time and secure job. I was looking on some advice on running costs like fuel bills and things.

Although I have had my first car now for about 10 months. I have been driving since I was 17 and I have built up my no claims. I currently own a 1993 1.0 corsa, mint condition with only 34'000 miles. I'm spending £20 on fuel a week and getting 90-100 miles out of it.

I have always wanted one since my dad owned one. The surf I have found is a 1995 diesel 3.0l manual in red for £1'999 with lift.

My only problem is my mum taking over and saying you don't need anything that big and the cost of it and so on.

What do you think?

Dan
    After a 2nd Gen 3.0L TD manual, preferably red.

Well the fuel bill will go up that's for sure. Do what YOU want dude...but don't disobey your ma now!!
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Have both, keep the surf for the weekends?

Comment

Tell your mum you will be a lot safer in the Surf. And as it's big and slow, you won't be able to get into any trouble.

If she still says no, ask her why she hates you.

If she still says no, tell her you got your girlfriend up the duff and need a bigger car.

Watch her face, and then tell her, "See? It's nowhere near as bad as that."
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

You dont buy a surf if you want/need cheap running costs

Your fuel cost will probably triple compared to what you pay now. Insurance will probably do the same (being a youngun)

Comment

Thoroughly check out the insurance costs first!!!!!
            Some of the younger buyers on here have found that to be prohibitive
            good luck
            Alan
            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

First thing I'd do is speak to someone like Lancaster Insurance, if someone like that can offer a reasonable quote you've then got to ask if you can afford to run a Surf.
              Tyres - More expensive
              Fuel - MUCH more expensive

Not trying to put you off, 20+ years ago at the age of 17 I wanted a Capri, I didn't let the £777 insurance put me off, I just made sacrifices elsewhere (£777 was a hell of a lot back then !)

I'm now lucky enough to Drive an E class Merc and a Surf, neither of which I'd be without.

Go with what the others have said, IE, its slow, its high up, its less likely to be stolen etc etc and if all else fails, run away from home !

Comment

In the prefect world I would keep both.

Girlfriend wise, she basically cheated and left me two months ago for a friend. No one can work out why she messed up a perfect relationship that we had.

She doesn't mind me getting a 4x4 but for some reason she not keen on the surf. I expected the fuel cost and insurance to be higher. I am paying around £300 insurance. I did a quick quote and came up with £650-£1500.

The surf is 180 miles from where I live. Its all a risk. Its got a bit of rust on the front bumper but it looks very tidy other wise. 60'000 on the clock. That could be after it was imported?

Comment

Originally posted by dman-lewis View Post
                  In the prefect world I would keep both.

Girlfriend wise, she basically cheated and left me two months ago for a friend. No one can work out why she messed up a perfect relationship that we had.

She doesn't mind me getting a 4x4 but for some reason she not keen on the surf. I expected the fuel cost and insurance to be higher. I am paying around £300 insurance. I did a quick quote and came up with £650-£1500.

The surf is 180 miles from where I live. Its all a risk. Its got a bit of rust on the front bumper but it looks very tidy other wise. 60'000 on the clock. That could be after it was imported?
                  Dman, welcome!
                  Surfs and other Jap imports are often "clocked". It can happen at any stage of the importation process, although if you import your own surf there are some Japanese companies that give you, for an extra fee, paperwork with original mileage.
                  Therefore you're better off going by the condition and maintenance of the car rather than mileage.
                  Insurance unfortunately is an issue in UK... In other European countries or here in Africa for example you insure the car, not the driver. So insuring a 3.0 L surf is a fixed amount, whether you are 17 or 60 yrs old. Since it is the vehicle that is insured, anyone can drive it, family, friends...makes much more sense to me. Also beer loving oldish duffers (like me) can be more of a liability than sensible young chaps like youself...
                  Good luck

Comment

Thanks, That sounds a better way to insure things..

http://www.aandjautosales.co.uk/used...01403042240560

I think I might leave it. Its the first one where I have been tempted but wont be the last. This does tick most of the boxes that I want tho.

Looks like the rear tailgate was replaced, looks a different colour. Either a smash or they didn't like the wheel on the door?

Comment

Get the vehicle you want.
                      Budget on 25-30 mpg.
                      Factor in new oils and fluids and belts.
                      Tyres about £100- £150 a corner.
                      Get one that has plenty of history.
                      Rusty bumpers are not uncommon.

I budget spending £100 a month on mine.

If it looks a bit iffy walk away.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

And tell your mum you will turn gay and never provide grandchildren if she doesn't fall in line.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Get a full insurance quote, with someone prior to buying.

comparison websites are great until you try and take it out.

Comment

I was a bit younger than you when I got my first surf 4 years ago. Fuel isnt as bad as everyone expects it to be but it will be more than what you pay now. Insurance wise, mine went down by £600 a year from my Audi A3. Insurance companies see it as less boy racers drive big 4x4s!

Comment

Yeah, I think it would be a better idea to get a full quote on things.

I will still keep looking for the one I want. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                              X