Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Rear Diff swap

Hi Guys,

Have been searching on here and it seems like a few members have done a rear diff swap to get rear discs. I have been thinking about this for a long time due to my drums being unreliable. I picked up some Prado axles with calipers but then found out that the bolt pattern on the diff housing is different.

Now I've just found out my rear diff is on its way out so I'm really interested in fitting a complete Prado diff. As the posts are old I'm not sure if any members who have done it are around, but if they are hopefully you can answer my questions.

-What changes to the diff needs to be made to mount to the Surf?

-I've read track width is different between Surf and Prado, will this affect anything?

-For the Master Cylinder do I just need to buy a KZJ90 Prado M/C with no sensor?

-Are the shock/spring and LCA positions the same?

Thanks

I put the kzj95 rear diff assembly into my kzn185. Side by side they are the same housing. Only difference that I could remember was the mounting bracket for the axles. Your mc has the same size internals as the 78/90/95 mc you wont gain anything by changing it. I think the only difficult thing was fitting the handbrake cable.
    Last edited by VVILLY; 7 February 2014, 12:00. Reason: error

Comment

Hi \/\/ILLY, thanks for the reply. I've seen your Surf on one of the NZ forums, VERY nice! I thought you did a swap with MR2 or Subaru calipers or something.

I found out about the axle mounts being different, as I picked up a pair of Prado axles complete with Rotors and calipers, then found out they don't fit

I am planning on getting a complete diff from the wreckers, so it should bolt straight in? And I don't need a larger capacity m/c for discs? If handbrake cable is the worst thing I'll be very happy.

Comment

I would be really interested in this too.. (Along with Tundra front brakes) as it is on my list of things to do and I've not seen it written up anywhere..

I thought the axles were a straight swap, taking into account that most UK landcruisers will have an E locker (Not interested, I want an LSD) but obviously this is not the case how far off were they?

Is there an "easy path"?
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by onwheels View Post
          Hi \/\/ILLY, thanks for the reply. I've seen your Surf on one of the NZ forums, VERY nice! I thought you did a swap with MR2 or Subaru calipers or something.

I found out about the axle mounts being different, as I picked up a pair of Prado axles complete with Rotors and calipers, then found out they don't fit

I am planning on getting a complete diff from the wreckers, so it should bolt straight in? And I don't need a larger capacity m/c for discs? If handbrake cable is the worst thing I'll be very happy.

Then again we didnt use the factory link brackets but side by side they were the same
          The mc internal part numbers are the same. So dont need to replace

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
            I would be really interested in this too.. (Along with Tundra front brakes) as it is on my list of things to do and I've not seen it written up anywhere..

I thought the axles were a straight swap, taking into account that most UK landcruisers will have an E locker (Not interested, I want an LSD) but obviously this is not the case how far off were they?

Is there an "easy path"?
            The Tundra front brakes are the same as Surf standard i'm pretty sure. I did look into that a while ago, I'll pull up my research and let you know.

Originally posted by VVILLY View Post
            Then again we didnt use the factory link brackets but side by side they were the same
            The mc internal part numbers are the same. So dont need to replace
            Ok thanks mate, look's like I'll be giving it a shot. Hopefully it's as easy as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by onwheels View Post
              The Tundra front brakes are the same as Surf standard i'm pretty sure. I did look into that a while ago, I'll pull up my research and let you know.
              Different part numbers on calipers, pads, and disks.
              Post recall/facelift Tundras had even bigger calipers.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...oject1620.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...rs-rotors.html

Note the 231s won't fit under the split 3 spokes, but will under the 5 spokes. I have no idea about my 3 piece split rims

Originally posted by VVILLY View Post
              I'm confused, so are you saying that the mounts are the same?
              Does anyone have any side by side pics, or links to guides?

Apart from maybe a handbrake bracket, I was hoping that this swap would be fabrication free.... I guess I was being overly optimistic
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Here is the kzj95 that I used
                Last edited by VVILLY; 11 February 2014, 06:57. Reason: photo upload didnt work

Comment

here is the kzj95 diff in place on factory mounts
                  Last edited by VVILLY; 11 February 2014, 11:17. Reason: pic not work

Comment

So it WILL just fit on, fabrication free (apart from, maybe the handbrake...)

Thanks, that's all I needed to know!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X