Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting CB in place of ashtray?

Evening all,

I've picked up a decent 2nd hand CB radio & want to fit it to my truck. I want to make it subtle, and was thinking of removing the ashtray and putting it in the hole.

The CB is a Yaesu ft-90, and it's a perfect fit width and height wise. Only problem is, the ashtray hole is not deep enough, so looks like I'll have to cut the back out!

Is there anything important behind here? Will I gain some more depth?

I'd love the deprecation head unit for this, but they're like rocking horse poo.

Cheers

James

The 4WD ECU is behind that bit you need to cut out, but there'll still enough clearance behind there for the CB.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      The 4WD ECU is behind that bit you need to cut out, but there'll still enough clearance behind there for the CB.
      Brilliant, thanks

I think the ashtray is my first choice spot. I don't really want to fill in the cubby hole under the CD player...

Comment

Unless I am mistaken (not unheard of) the FT-90 is not a CB radio. It is a 2m (144 MHz) / 70cm (430Mhz) radio, i.e. a VHF / UHF amateur radio.

CB operates at 11m (27MHz). It may well be that someone has modified the radio to allow it to operate at 27 MHz but if that is not the case then you will be disappointed if you expect to be able to communicate with other CB operators - and operating it as a VHF / UHF radio is illegal without an amateur radio licence (which you may well have).

All that aside, unless you are operating it at its lowest power level (5W) placing it in a poorly ventilated location is likely to result in overheating problems (it can be operated at 50W).

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
          Unless I am mistaken (not unheard of) the FT-90 is not a CB radio. It is a 2m (144 MHz) / 70cm (430Mhz) radio, i.e. a VHF / UHF amateur radio.

CB operates at 11m (27MHz). It may well be that someone has modified the radio to allow it to operate at 27 MHz but if that is not the case then you will be disappointed if you expect to be able to communicate with other CB operators - and operating it as a VHF / UHF radio is illegal without an amateur radio licence (which you may well have).

All that aside, unless you are operating it at its lowest power level (5W) placing it in a poorly ventilated location is likely to result in overheating problems (it can be operated at 50W).
          No, you're not mistaken, it's more my poor use of proper terminology
          To be honest, it's a bit of a steep learning curve I'm on here, so any help & advise is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the radio has been modified, and pre programmed with alsorts of goodies.

I've read about the over heating, but as I haven't got my license yet, can't see I'd be pushing anywhere near 50w, and even with a licence, 20w seems to be enough. I'm hoping there will be enough ventilation in this location.

I'm sewing my leather elbow patches on and going to the local radio ham club, conveniently run in the pub 10 minutes walk away

Comment

I'm sure your local amateur radio enthusiasts will give you all the help you need. With the Foundation Licence you can operate at 5W and with the Intermediate Licence at 50W - that's usually as far as mobile operators need to go since those units usually have a 50W maximum.

Comment

]
              ]
              I done the same thing with my kzn185 worked well

have seen it done on 130's as well
              Last edited by VVILLY; 22 January 2014, 18:44. Reason: picture didnt work

Comment

I have my midland cb unit mounted there

Comment

This is the CB in my 3rd gen. No cutting done.

Sorry about the picture sizes. I can't resize them at the moment.

Edit; finally got to a computer to resize pictures, so no longer visible from outer space.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Fey!; 24 January 2014, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                    This is the CB in my 3rd gen. No cutting done.

Sorry about the picture sizes. I can't resize them at the moment.

Could you make them a little larger, we can't see them.

Comment

I did apologise for the size!!

You know you make it worse by quoting them!!

Comment

And we still cant see them

Comment

All done, thanks for the encouragement

Comment

10-4 good buddy, that's a 10-24.
                            All you need now is a 10-32 to make sure you're getting a 10-2 and not a 10-1 because you don't want a 10-62.
                            If you get a 10-1, then just 10-91.
                            I'm off for a 10-100 now and then I'll be 10-6, so I'll stay 10-10 on the side and catch you on the flip-flop.

Comment

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
                              All done, thanks for the encouragement

looking good youd be happy

Comment

Working...
                              X