floods of fun in Devon quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floods of fun in Devon quick question

floods all over the place at the mo round Devon, saved some poor chap the other day in Cullompton hes car stalled half way through flood, i wasnt getting out so just pushed him out. Anyway have been though some fairly deep floods say around 18". did come across a ford which showed a 3ft depth, i started to go though but pulled out when water came up to just above the front bumper i chickened out at this point.

so would my standard gen 3 have made it though ? can someone tell me the limit please ( i have no mods )

just round the corner from me

this was was just down the road from me, i reckon it was around 18"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arkamelis; 4 January 2014, 11:57. Reason: photo

Comment

Good question
      Don't forget to factor in the #### that comes flat out towards you from the other direction.
      It wasn't my Surf thank fcuk but my old Vito.
      Air intake at about the same height though!!!
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

As long as don't submerge the headlights you'll be OK. The air intake tube is behind the passenger side headlight. You can go deeper, but you'll need to keep a steady pace to create a bow wave in front of the truck.

Comment

cheers bushwhacker

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
            floods all over the place at the mo round Devon, saved some poor chap the other day in Cullompton hes car stalled half way through flood, i wasnt getting out so just pushed him out. Anyway have been though some fairly deep floods say around 18". did come across a ford which showed a 3ft depth, i started to go though but pulled out when water came up to just above the front bumper i chickened out at this point.

so would my standard gen 3 have made it though ? can someone tell me the limit please ( i have no mods )
            If you want/need to go deeper you can get a cheapish chinese snorkel from ebay or similar. It's the same model that they fit on some of the hilux pickup diesel. Its a safari imitation and fits the 3rd Gen quite nicely. I have had it for a year or so and been fairly deep, let's say almost bonnet high, I guess, with no consequences.

Comment

I had my 3rd gen up to the headlights and it seemed fine.

Although the air intake (on the diesel at least) actually comes in behind/above the front wheel, the connection behind the headlights as Vince said doesn't look the most... "waterproof"

The pic take below the entire road was like this, and I was probably about 1/4 long. I only had slight damp under the carpets as the steering column boot that goes into the bulkhead had a tear in it.

The transfer box did have some mayo in it when I drained the oil...

Although it would "probably be OK" I haven't tried with the V8 yet.... at that depth the coil packs would be submerged. and the Aircon pipework is still temporarily blocked off awaiting pipes being made...
              Attached Files
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

bit wet here too

This will be under 1 ft of water soon!! its already 6 ft higher than it should be!!

Comment

As a rule of thumb I was taught to not go in water deeper than the top of the wheel.I obviously didn't listen as this killed a land rover before me but I got the bow wave spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
                    As a rule of thumb I was taught to not go in water deeper than the top of the wheel.I obviously didn't listen as this killed a land rover before me but I got the bow wave spot on.

That is cool!

However, a bit deep for my liking, without a snorkel. If you dunk it like that maybe you should consider one...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
                      ...... I got the bow wave spot on.
                      Originally posted by tashtego View Post

However, a bit deep for my liking, without a snorkel. If you dunk it like that maybe you should consider one...

It's safe to say he knew how to do it properly unlike the LandRover driver.

Comment

I don't make a habit of dunking the 3rd gen I can assure you . I had a very good idea of the depth before entering or I wouldn't have done it. The lift helped obviously.

Comment

Working...
                        X