X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s car go View Post
    PARDON!!

Quote Ehow:-

The exhaust gases help cool the temperature of combustion and prevent the formation of various nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides are harmful to the environment and are considered "greenhouse" gases. Adding exhaust gases into the intake causes combustion in the cylinders to occur more slowly, and the peak temperature is lower. This causes fewer nitrogen oxides to be formed and leads to cleaner vehicle emissions

Although I would agree that the system is so crude that at the age of our trucks it is probably doing more harm than good with the build up of soot!
    FYI The 3.0 4 runner is not fitted with the EGR at all.

Regards

Mark
    Removing the EGR does help keep it cooler overall though and it runs better. I agree with it doing more harm than good, I got loads of soot out of mine when I cleaned it after removing the pipes. Didn't know that the 3 litre 4 runner doesn't have an EGR though

Comment

I have to agree with Mark. Everything I've read when researching EGR removal indicates that the combustion gas is hotter (slightly) for having the EGR removed. Most people thus recommend upgrading the exhaust & manifold to 2.5" to help get rid of the gasses quicker.

I've done the exhaust, & will do the EGR when make some blanking plates. I've seen the inside of an engine that's had an EGR fitted!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
        I got loads of soot out of mine when I cleaned it after removing the pipes. Didn't know that the 3 litre 4 runner doesn't have an EGR though
        The intake and cylinder head on my Surf was caked up with soot and oil like I've never seen when I did the head last year. Conversely when I did the head on the Runner I had, the intake parts were just lightly sooted as you'd expect.

The 4 Runner is a much simpler animal with regards to fuelling, Non EFI, no shut down valves, and no EGR, IE proper one wire mechanical fuel injection!

Never the less both heads failed, and both were replaced with R/trax AMC heads. I ordered mine bare and built up the valve gear here, mainly because of the logistics in returning the old head from France, and partly because I'm a tight B*****d!

BTW I've noticed no difference in fuel consumption, performance or running temperature since removing the EGR

Regards

Mark

Comment

removing egr system makes EGT's cooler. however it makes flame temps go back to normal (hotter). pouring hot exhaust gas in instead of cool air removes some of the cooling ability, so egr is going to make it hotter.

3.0 4runner not having egr ? afaik all 1kzte have egr. not sure about the 3.0 v6 petrol. fairly sure the aussie ones did. the 2.8 3L certainly did not have egr.

if your blocking off the egr make sure you disable the egr intake butterfly setup. you don't want to be blocking the airflow for no reason.

Comment

So picked up the Surf this evening. Very pleased with the results and the feedback from my mechanic regarding the AMC head.
            Suberb quality casting, a few (good diffrences). High quality gaskets and belts and a pleasure to fit.

The truck runs quieter in my opinion. Maybe a tiny tiny bit more power. But nothing worth talking about.

Overall very pleased with the service and package from Roughtrax.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
              3.0 4runner not having egr ? afaik all 1kzte have egr. .
              The UK 4Runner is a 1KZ-T (or something) - ie: it has a mechanical fuel pump and no EGR system.

It also has a different injector nozzle as I found out this week...

Rob.

Comment

Working...
              X