Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hid kits on surfs Any MOT testers on here

Any MOT testers on here?

Are they legal to fit them to surfs. Will you fail the mot or not?
    I've looked around for info and some say no you need washer units and self leveling light. Some say you will only get an advisory others say they are only allowed on new cars.
    GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Originally posted by marcdtr View Post
    Any MOT testers on here?

Are they legal to fit them to surfs. Will you fail the mot or not?
    I've looked around for info and some say no you need washer units and self leveling light. Some say you will only get an advisory others say they are only allowed on new cars.
    It is not unlawful to fit them.
    Have a look here http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm
    This is what the MOT testers work to.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

My MOT bloke said he would pass them as long as they passed the beam alignment test.
      I would only fit them if the headlights had clear glass and the prism style reflectors, which currently are not available for RHD 2nd gens.

Comment

It just goes to prove that the MOT testers are individuals, some like the test station I used previously had had intensive and quite stringent potty training , where any deviation from the set rules would resort in punishment.
        He does however take a very dim view of non OEM HID.But couldn't give two hoots about other mods such as no ARB's.
        Which could bring the whole ARB on/off debate rattling around again, but as the forum is very busy atm with more serious issues I wouldn't want to it bring up.

My headlights are in fact awesome and bear no resemblance to the tallow powered mere glimmers that the truck was equipped with when it left the factory.
        So I have no need to mess about with HID option.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Apparently, the self levelling and headlight washer requirements are still in the 'in-tray' at VOSA. Nothing has been set in stone yet regarding retro fitting HID kits, but as long as they pass the standard headlight test it's OK to fit them.

Comment

Self levelling on most 2nd gens could be an issue........
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
              Self levelling on most 2nd gens could be an issue........
              True.

FYI: UK spec. 4Runners have a manual headlight beam height adjuster fitted in the dash as standard.

Comment

A mate runs a MOT garage and he won't pass them. He struggles to get a correct beam pattern with every car that comes in.

They are illegal too.. Taken from dft.gov.uk

"Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:
                1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component;
                2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be
                complied with (although no government inspection will take place); and 3. comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
                In practice this means:
                1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to
                ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
                2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self- levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
                3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp.
                Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
                In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above."

Also page 3 of this site gives mot guidelines and top of page 4 may also apply.
                http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/MOT%...20Lighting.pdf

I have used them in a previous car and didn't see the 30% improvement on brightness, but I couldn't get the beam pattern correct.
                Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by M8WHR View Post
                  A mate runs a MOT garage and he won't pass them. He struggles to get a correct beam pattern with every car that comes in. .............................. .............................. ................
                  I have used them in a previous car and didn't see the 30% improvement on brightness, but I couldn't get the beam pattern correct.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  I would only fit them if the headlights had clear glass and the prism style reflectors, which currently are not available for RHD 2nd gens.
                  Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Apparently, the self levelling and headlight washer requirements are still in the 'in-tray' at VOSA. Nothing has been set in stone yet regarding retro fitting HID kits, but as long as they pass the standard headlight test it's OK to fit them.

Comment

And what?
                    Paul

Comment

I think i will just remove mine it seems the easy option.

Looks like i`ll be selling um i cannot be bothered to put them in after the mot.
                      GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

I often have a stroll around the carpark in lieu of a cig break and think about what OEM HID lamps from other vehicles would fit, or fit-ish, in the gaps that would exist after taking the headlights and indicators out of my 3rd gen.

Modern stuff is just too complicated a shape. Maybe the 1996-2002 Audi A8? There are geezers on the t4r forum that have done their own full light-internal-replacement jobs, but they are baking their lamps to get them apart and a load of other glue-gun palaver that I would have to pass on.

I used to get glue-fingerprints on my Airfix plane canopies, never mind butchering my own headlamps with old-man eyesight
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

And what?
                          If you are going to be anal enough to quote "the law" don't just cherry pick the bits that you think apply you need to reference the section you are referring to.
                          Having said that the OP has decided he can't be bothered so it is all a bit of a moot point really.
                          Doubly more so as the points concerned had already been mentioned.
                          Btw your mate might be better off sticking to carrying out the tests and the tests only.
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

If you are going to be anal enough to quote "the law" don't just cherry pick the bits that you think apply you need to reference the section you are referring to.
                            Having said that the OP has decided he can't be bothered so it is all a bit of a moot point really.
                            Doubly more so as the points concerned had already been mentioned.
                            Apologies, although I found several quotes of the text I posted, I couldn't find the original site.

Btw your mate might be better off sticking to carrying out the tests and the tests only.
                            Thanks, I will pass your invaluable expertise and opinion on.
                            Paul

Comment

A mate runs a MOT garage and he won't pass them. He struggles to get a correct beam pattern with every car that comes in.

Thanks, I will pass your invaluable expertise and opinion on.

I neither said I was an expert or that my opinion was of any value.
                              I gave the OP a link to the relevant website where he could look at the info himself and make his own mind up.
                              I also merely stated that there is an obvious discrepancy between MOT tests, where one station will pass an item and another will fail, a point of view that formulated into a fact by an open discussion between two adults.

You mentioned the fact that your mate would fail every car with HID and that he has troubles with HID alignment hence I suggested that he should leave the alignment alone, perhaps you could copy and paste an idiots guide for him, seeing that HID has been around since the early nineties I'm surprised that your mate is still having issues.

Personally I think that HID for these trucks are a waste of money, you would be better off fitting something like a set of Osram Nightbreakers and perhaps uprgrading the pitiful headlamp wiring
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X