Returning from the dark side...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning from the dark side...

Been away a long time - however once one has drunk from the waters of the Toyota river one always comes back...

Just bought a 94 surf off ebay - picking it up this arvo. This Surf has been towed behind a motorhome - via A frame - so all 4 wheels down I guess. Will this have caused any problems with the rear diff and other than draining it how can I tell if its buggered? I've looked through the archves and can't find any info on this particular question so if anyone has anything to offer I'd appreciate it.
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

If its an auto the towing might be an issue.
    Brian

Comment

Picked it up tonight. It's a bit smelly, think he's been transporting goats or something!

It's a manual - and sounds very agricultural. Feels powerful though!
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Hello Enzo. Welcome back to the forum. Towing a Surf won't do the diff any harm, but like Brian said, an auto shouldn't be towed with the propshaft turning the gearbox. To prevent this, if the transfer box had been put in neutral, drive would not have gone through to the gearbox and it would have not come to any harm. Just hope that the people who had been towing it had taken that precaution.
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks!

Mines a manual so when towing it with an a-frame gearbox in neutral, Transfer box in H2 or should that be in neutral as well?
          Last edited by bundubasher; 15 November 2013, 11:47.
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

If it's a manual, it should be ok. if you want to be on the safe side, it would do no harm to still put the transfer box in neutral. It shouldn't be necessary. though.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
            X