Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Surf to Buy

Hi all

I have been reading this forum for a few months now, a great site, so much information and knowledgeable people (have to butter you up, then hopefully someone will answer my questions)

I am looking to get a surf, they are so great. I have done loads of research and read lots of articles. The thing is I am a bit short of cash and wondered whether buying at an auction was an option? What do you think about just sticking to 3.0 ltr, would this reduce the risk - or is it still too risky?

I have read the vehicle checks to undertake onhttp://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm are there any other things I should check on the vehicle?

If I was to buy one should i somehow arrange to transport it back to my local garage to give it a full service, coolant change etc or do you think if i drove it back (real slow, honest) to the garage, it would be ok? (it is about 35 miles)

Hope you can help

Cheers

n0rm
    "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Hi N0rm,

What sort of money are you looking to pay? Have you looked in the For Sale section there are good 2.4's that have had work done on them such as heads and underseal.

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Hi Rich

Cheers for the reply. I am looking between 3-4k really. But need to sell my car to purchase this one - I was thinking of putting the Surf on my Credit Card until i sell my other car which is worth about 4k. This puts private sells out of the picture really. I obviously could have more luck at a garage where they would probably take cards.

As you say 2.4s would be acceptable if they had the head done, but I wouldn't want the worry (and expense) of having to do this work.

I have looked in the For Sale section on this site but I assume most would be private and unable to take plastic.

Cheers anyway

n0rm

Comment

Originally posted by n0rm
        Hi Rich

Cheers for the reply. I am looking between 3-4k really. But need to sell my car to purchase this one - I was thinking of putting the Surf on my Credit Card until i sell my other car which is worth about 4k. This puts private sells out of the picture really. I obviously could have more luck at a garage where they would probably take cards.

As you say 2.4s would be acceptable if they had the head done, but I wouldn't want the worry (and expense) of having to do this work.

I have looked in the For Sale section on this site but I assume most would be private and unable to take plastic.

Cheers anyway

n0rm
        Can't you withdraw cash on the card ????? if so it would open up your options for you.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

not to sure Koi, I will have to investigate.

Oops logged in as my old user!! Thought i'd change it to get a better name!

Any thoughts about the auction stuff?
          Last edited by tmpassmore; 8 September 2004, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpassmore
            not to sure Koi, I will have to investigate.

Oops logged in as my old user!! Thought i'd change it to get a better name!

Any thoughts about the auction stuff?

Not done a lot of digging on the auction side of buying I must admit. But there are one or two on here who have, maybe they will chip in with their info, also try a search on here for auction I am sure it has been covered, think Fieldsy did a good thread or two on his that he bought from auction.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Cheers

That would be great if someone could provide their auction experiences. It seems you can get some good deals there, but then again how good they really are i'm not sure.

I have been told that if i go up prior to the auction i can give it a good going over, start it, check under the bonnet etc - so this is not too bad

n0rm

Comment

Why not try Bob Hilux or Streetluge Chris on this forum? They both had good older gen2's for sale a while back.

I brought that checklist you mentioned with me when I bought mine, but I largely ignored it because I was too excited - it's all well and good to know what you're supposed to check, but if you don't bother, or you forget, it's not worth suds...

Take your time and you will find a good one in your price range. If you've already got a car, you have time to wait for a good Surf.

Good Luck,

Mark
                :

Comment

Hi mate. I live in Taunton. If you want to check out my Surf to give you an idea of what should go where or any for any info then give me a call. Also i got my Surf from an importer in Torquay he usually has a good selection. As i said call if you like. 07730 606705.

Comment

Originally posted by n0rm
                    Hi Rich

Cheers anyway

n0rm
                    How about finding a private seller with a Pay Pal account you might have to add 3 or 4% to cover costs. How far do you want to travel cos Koi's old 2.4 is for sale and I know he has a Pay Pal account plus his head has been done.
                    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                      How about finding a private seller with a Pay Pal account you might have to add 3 or 4% to cover costs. How far do you want to travel cos Koi's old 2.4 is for sale and I know he has a Pay Pal account plus his head has been done.
                      What about the one on his Surf.. ...tee hee....

You can get credit card cheques you know.... we bought ours with one. (sorry that should be Tom bought his with one) just ring the card company and they can get 'em printed and send 'em to you in about about a week or so.

And, think if you buy this way you still get the credit card sales protection thingies....
                      AND. if you got one of them interest free cards or if not get one ASAP, transfer the new balance.... saves a fortune..

Credit card cash withdrawals carry HUGE charges....
                      Last edited by Helen; 8 September 2004, 13:45.
                      Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Yep go for Koi's - Paypal or credit card cheque. It's proved it's worth, has had everything it ever needed done on it and a complete new cylinder head.

Sorry bit of a gratuitous plug there but he is a mate.

Cheers

Comment

thanks for all the info people.

Will have to seriously considerate it. Have just been to the auctions at Portbury. The one I was semi interested in a Oct 94 (m plate) 3.0 in Blue went for 3k.

The going price for 93/94 ish 2.4s was between 2500 and 3200

What to do, what to do?

Is a 3.0 robust enough to buy from an auction then get it fully serviced etc. If I got it around 3k I'd have just over 1k to spend on it this must be enough to iron out an issues (if the 3.0 has any?)

Still can't decide, but cheers anyway

Cheers Muncher for the offer, I may give you a call!

n0rm
                          Last edited by n0rm; 8 September 2004, 15:17.

Comment

No probs norm. I drive a gunmetal grey/ jade colour Surf with amber spots on the bull bars. Wave me down if you see me.
                            Good luck with your search. Don't be put off by this head stuff on the 2.4 it's not that common.....muncher

Comment

Working...
                            X