Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a 3rd Gen- Advice Needed

Afternoon,

My Volvo's clutch has just gone. The DMF is rattling too and it sounds like that also wants replacing. I'm looking at about £1200 parts and labour (even with a significant Volvo Forum discount and mate of a mate doing the work) to get this sorted.

I've been offered £400 for scrap for the car.

This has made me think that if i were to not get the work done and to scrap it, then i'd have the equivalent of £1600 towards another car.

I've still got the 2nd Gen which will be back on the road this week, but i don't want to use it for a daily drive as it's lifted and on 33's and isn't very friendly on fuel or for town driving. I may sell it to go towards the cost of something different.

Being as my brief foray into non-Japanese car ownership didn't go too well, i'm now considering a 3rd Gen. I don't really know much about them though and could do with some info.

I've looked around on eBay, but as with Landcruisers, it's hard to get a good idea of price from dealers who just come out with unrealistic prices and tosh like 'Very rare manual model' 'You won't find this spec again in the UK' 'Has desirable winter pack option with walnut trim' nonsense as if they've got something that's a one off and worth the ridiculous prices they ask.

I'd really like to own a reliable Toyota again and would want it to be 4WD, so i think a 3rd Gen fits the bill. Added to that, this forum makes owning a Surf so much easier due to the easy availability of advice and parts, etc.

So, a few questions:

Any common faults? (like with the head on 2nd Gen cracking)

Are they still 2.4 and 3.0 in diesel version as with 2nd Gens? What's the best fuel/transmission combination to go for?

What can i consider a rough starting price for a good example with decent spec?

MPG for diesels?

Thanks.

Why 4wd?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Preference.

Comment

Well the fuel use won't be that much better with a 3rd gen.
        What about a Rav4?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

It's the same engine as the 2nd gen 3.0, so expect the same problems.

Owners of them will say to get the 2.7 petrol. They may well be right.

I'd start at £2k and work upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            Well the fuel use won't be that much better with a 3rd gen.
            What about a Rav4?
            Not a real 4x4; Independent rear suspension, no low range, AWD, softroader..

Comment

Although not a real 4x4 the Rav was one of the best motors I have ever owned. If not off roading but you need something that can handled a rough winter I would recommend it.
              That said, I can't see past my 3rd Gen these days

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
                Not a real 4x4; Independent rear suspension, no low range, AWD, softroader..
                Then if you need a "real" 4x4 get a Land Rover

No hang on you said you wanted reliability.

You will not get all of the requirements in one vehicle, that has yet to be made, and it won't at less than 2k.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Drop the second gen back to 31" tyres and lose the lift ?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
                    Afternoon,

My Volvo's clutch has just gone. The DMF is rattling too and it sounds like that also wants replacing. I'm looking at about £1200 parts and labour (even with a significant Volvo Forum discount and mate of a mate doing the work) to get this sorted.

I've been offered £400 for scrap for the car.

This has made me think that if i were to not get the work done and to scrap it, then i'd have the equivalent of £1600 towards another car.

I've still got the 2nd Gen which will be back on the road this week, but i don't want to use it for a daily drive as it's lifted and on 33's and isn't very friendly on fuel or for town driving. I may sell it to go towards the cost of something different.

Being as my brief foray into non-Japanese car ownership didn't go too well, i'm now considering a 3rd Gen. I don't really know much about them though and could do with some info.

I've looked around on eBay, but as with Landcruisers, it's hard to get a good idea of price from dealers who just come out with unrealistic prices and tosh like 'Very rare manual model' 'You won't find this spec again in the UK' 'Has desirable winter pack option with walnut trim' nonsense as if they've got something that's a one off and worth the ridiculous prices they ask.

I'd really like to own a reliable Toyota again and would want it to be 4WD, so i think a 3rd Gen fits the bill. Added to that, this forum makes owning a Surf so much easier due to the easy availability of advice and parts, etc.

So, a few questions:

Any common faults? (like with the head on 2nd Gen cracking)

Are they still 2.4 and 3.0 in diesel version as with 2nd Gens? What's the best fuel/transmission combination to go for?

What can i consider a rough starting price for a good example with decent spec?

MPG for diesels?

Thanks.
                    Hi,
                    I am not sure about MPG and how much travelling you do but no proper 4x4 will be cheap on fuel. However, if you sell your surf and add what you get for it to the 1600 quid , you will probably have enough for a fairly clean 3rd Gen, petrol or diesel. If you check your coolant level regularly, so that you catch a possible leak early, you shouldn't have head issues.
                    Much as i love the surf i see it as a stepping stone towards a Colorado or even a proper Land Cruiser (4.2) in a few years, finances permitting.
                    Was in Sussex in the summer visiting family and saw some nice 3rd Gens for sale in the Horsham area.
                    PS: I am in California for a few days, Sonoma County, and I ve never seen so many 4Runners in my life, mostly the petrol V6, plus some really nice pick ups, Tundra, Tacomas, some with crazy lifts and wheels! In fact ive seen my ideal car, the Tacoma Prerunner, SR5, V6,longer wheelbase than the hilux pick up, lifted and with mud tyres on, in black. If only i could convince the wife and the loans guy at my bank...

Comment

Get a 2.7 the price of diesel now makes the petrol a even fight with better performance. No cam belt as there is a timing chain, service as normal, the only big issue i have had with melons's was the steering rack bushes .... that looks a lot of grief to do but only took about 2 hours with two of us.
                      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Whys the 2.7 got better performance? Its max torque is only a little better than a 2.4 and comes in around 4000rpm. Slightly better hp than the 3.0 but again at high revs.

Rob.

Comment

Ive had my 3rd gen for 6 years and its behaved impeccably. Mines a diesel, but I wouldn't discount the 2.7 petrol, they are however much harder to come by than the diesel. The fact that its got a timing chain as opposed to a belt should not be a consideration as the belt is no hardship to change. The 3.4 petrol is greedy but if you are a low mileage user that itself may not be a big deal.
                          The most common ones around are however the 3.0l auto diesel. Somehow more refined and less agricultural than the 2nd gen. Most have a centre diff. Internally they are a bit roomier than the 2nd Gen and in my opinion are just a better looking vehicle. I saw one poster say that he viewed the Surf as a stepping stone to a Colorado. Well I don't share that view. I have a 3.0l D4D Colorado and although its got a few more horses than the Surf and its got 7/8 seats and a locking rear diff, I still prefer the Surf over it. ( maybe thats more an emotional thing than a practical issue )
                          If you can find a decent 3rd gen Surf on your budget then get it. As Sancho said you could expect the 3rd gen to have the same problems as the 2nd gen as its basically the same engine. Most people don't have problems. I suppose there's always the " head" worry, but that's no different to any aging vehicle and provided its been decently maintained, and you continue to maintain it, it should be fine.
                          3rd gens came in 4 variants. 3.0l diesel. 3.0l diesel with intercooler ( an extra 15 horses) 2.7 petrol and 3.4 petrol.
                          Last edited by Bogus; 30 October 2013, 12:36.
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Thanks for the replies, i wasn't aware that the engines hadn't changed from 2nd to 3rd Gen. Will look into buying once i'm in a position to.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X