Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant change / maintenance

Folks,

I would like to do a full flush and replacement but am not sure exactly how to achieve this and get all of the flushing tap water out and Toyota Red Coolant filling all the pipes and voids.

So....If I just get as much of the old coolant out by undoing the lowest hose on the radiator and replace the old with new...then repeat at the next service in 6 months time will that be ok ?

Does the remaining coolant act as a contaminant or does the new just improve the whole ?

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Originally posted by Lightyear66 View Post
    Folks,

I would like to do a full flush and replacement but am not sure exactly how to achieve this and get all of the flushing tap water out and Toyota Red Coolant filling all the pipes and voids.

So....If I just get as much of the old coolant out by undoing the lowest hose on the radiator and replace the old with new...then repeat at the next service in 6 months time will that be ok ?

Does the remaining coolant act as a contaminant or does the new just improve the whole ?

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    There is a good thread on here by Tony N on how to do a proper flush, I used it months ago and it worked well. I cannot find it at the moment as I am out and only have the Phone on me, which makes searches a pain. Anyway, the idea is that you undo the bottom hose and also the hose that goes to the thermostat housing. That gives you chance to remove and test the stat, or, being that its not very expensive, to replace it outright. Mine was stuck open (engine Temp was going down to almost cold on long downhills!) . Then remove the rubber pipes that go into the bulk head, feeding the front and rear heaters. As you put the hose into the top rad, heater hoses etc, you remove all the old stuff. In a few minutes it will run clear. Some clean tap water will remain into the engine block, maybe a litre and a half or so. At this stage I closed everything up again and filled with 5 L concentrated coolant. Then I topped ip with distilled water (around 3 and a half liters if I remember right) until full. That means you now have ten litres of good coolant mixture (50/50 type coolant, coolant that needs mixing with 50% water). Most of the water being distilled. That way you don't have to worry about the water left in the block. I filled with a funnel from the heater pipe at the bulkhead coz Its the highest point.
    If you use pre mixed coolant not much difference, I guess. You could blow the clean water left in the block out with an air hose, or just add the coolant anyway, the concentration will be a little lower though, since you will be mixing maybe 8 and a half litres of premixed cooolant to 1 and half litre or so of tap water. I wouldn't think its a problem.
    I wouldn't partially flush (rad only) and mix fresh and old coolant.
    Run the engine and check level once cold, top up at the rad cap if necessary.
    Forgot to say, maybe leave the rad cap off over night to allow some air that might have got trapped to escape...

Give it a go coz I managed and I am mechanically illiterate!

Last edited by tashtego; 13 October 2013, 11:54.

Comment

Working...
    X