Will it go on fire ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it go on fire ????

I've a 12 old car needing a lot of stuff done in the engine bay and the rocker covers gone and leaked lots of oil out onto the exhaust manifold. Every time I start it up it smokes the oil off bigtime after a minute or two. Will it eventually catch fire or can I leave it running.

All answers will be deemed as professional advice and all wrong ones will be pursued as negligent, terms and conditions apply, offer subject to approval, dont buy off the plans

Originally posted by JimL
    I've a 12 old car needing a lot of stuff done in the engine bay and the rocker covers gone and leaked lots of oil out onto the exhaust manifold. Every time I start it up it smokes the oil off bigtime after a minute or two. Will it eventually catch fire or can I leave it running.

All answers will be deemed as professional advice and all wrong ones will be pursued as negligent, terms and conditions apply, offer subject to approval, dont buy off the plans
    Now you've gone public with it, the insurance might not pay out!!!!!!!
    Pete

Comment

possibly
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

It's unlikely - but for legal purposes I'll sit on the fence - your risk. However the flash point of engine oil is pretty high and it is pretty hard to ignite. It will more than likely just smoke off. I wouldn't want to take it on a long run with a lot of oil about but leaving it idling should be OK - possibly, but then possibly not. if I'm wrong

Cheers

Comment

brake fluid would!... are you trying to get rid of it?... that can be arranged!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I had a fire under the bonnet of a Mk III Cortina years ago... caused by engine oil leaking onto the exhaust.
            Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Originally posted by whippet
              I had a fire under the bonnet of a Mk III Cortina years ago... caused by engine oil leaking onto the exhaust.

Jim I assume after the said poor unfortunate accident you'll want this thread deleted
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by whippet
                my piston rings went on my mk11 cortina spat oil out all over the place & yes it too caught fire
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

What kind of sheister do all of ye think I am! I want to fix it and run it not incinerate it. Its not even insured - its sitting there for months, worth maybe €500 only yet its in A1 nick and is a great family car. I use it as backup for when I'm doin jobs on the surf coz I'm reeeeal slow at things like that.

Comment

backup for when I'm doin jobs on the surf coz I'm reeeeal slow at things like that.
                    maybe i should think about something like that!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Why not replace the rocker box gasket and get the engine steam cleaned? Just a suggestion.

Disclaimer. Try it at your own risk. Normal rules apply. Your house may be reposessed if you cannot keep up repayments. Always read the label. Wear appropriate safety equipment. Calls may be recorded for training purposes ( or we may be paranoid).
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Smoke is good, fix a strobe as a hood ornament, turn up the stereo and go hang out at the local McD's drive through.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Lolled and still lolling at Phil's disclaimer

You're right though Phil why dont I steam it, only the local steamer is a mile away and thats far enough not to go if its gonna burn

Update: turns out the new gasket isnt doin the biz and a leak was still dripping onto exhaust, might part with €4 and go for another gasket

Re StrobeTone, youre 20 years behind youre time man!

Comment

I'm still wondering why it's a bad thing to set Cortinas on fire....

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              Why not replace the rocker box gasket and get the engine steam cleaned? Just a suggestion.

Disclaimer. Try it at your own risk. Normal rules apply. Your house may be reposessed if you cannot keep up repayments. Always read the label. Wear appropriate safety equipment. Calls may be recorded for training purposes ( or we may be paranoid).
                              Oh you forgot - contents may be hot when heated..

Oh and another thing, burning cortinas is good sport as long as they aren't Mk1 Lotus Cortinas.

The Ford Cortina - The best BBQ ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X